1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deal of a lifetime (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigchad64, Jun 14, 2007.

1. While to some this may not be the deal of a lifetime, to me it is:hyper:

It started yesterday afternoon while sitting at my computer at work. Many times throughout the day I will check on craigslist for gear here in Kansas City. Last year I found a great deal on a T-40 for $100. As I scanned the newest posts yesterday there appeared (and now I wish I would have saved the ad before he took it down after purchase), "Fender bass $130". I figured it to be another black Squier, of which there seems to be an endless supply. I opened the ad and almost immediatly replied to the ad. The ad read, " '73 Fender Precision bass. Worn with use, but still plays good. $130 cash." I about fainted. It so happened that the ad had only been up for about 2 minutes by the time I replied. I sent replies from two seperate email accounts in case one didn't send right. I left my cell number and said I could deliver cash that night. I then noticed he had another ad for a knockoff les paul for $80 say that I would take both if the P-bass was in the deal. Then I waited.

I checked my email the rest of the day, it seemed like every 5 minutes. I didn't want to miss an email from the seller. The end of the work day came, so I went home thinking that someone else either had slid in front of me or had offered more money.

That night I was watching TV with my family and I got the call. He said he couldn't believe the response that he had received. I was the first email, so he was giving me the chance to see it first. I told him I would take it sight unseen (thinking even if it were a total beater or a knock-off $130 was worth the risk). He said it was in pretty rough shape and he wanted me to see it before I commited. No problem! He lived about 30 minutes away so I packed up the kids and made haste.

I arrived, he walked me to the basement, and there it was leaning against his amp. Sunburst, rosewood, bad ass. I have always wanted an older p-bass. He said again that he was amazed at the response. It wasn't pre-CBS, so he didn't see what the big deal was. He is a band teacher and the original owner of the bass. It was just a beater that he would allow students to take home and practice. It is far from a beater bass.

The bad: When it was new he tightened the neck screws too tightly and stripped out the neck. He just put in bigger screws and proceeded to play it that way for 33 years. The frets are worn, but still playable. He viewed the finish being worn down in spots as a negative, but I like it:bassist:

The good: Its original. Everything except the strings and the neck screws came on the bass originally. It plays and sound GREAT. Neck is true. Headstock not beat up and decals still look sweet.

At the end he asked me if I thought it was worth $130 (meaning did I want to offer less), I told him yes. He had tried to sell it to a student two years before for $200, so he thought it had went down in value since then.

I contemplated selling it for about 1 second, but thought, "this is my bass."

Here are pics,
    RileyJune14100.jpg
    RileyJune14101.jpg
    RileyJune14124.jpg

Oh yeah, I asked about the bridge and picup covers, "oh, do you want those? I've got them in the closet here." Why yes I do:D
    RileyJune14130.jpg
    RileyJune14129.jpg

Yes! (sorry for the poor quality photos)

2. PICS NOT WORKING!

lowsound

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    My '79 P for $220 seems pedestrian compared to this! :D

4. Pics fixed:)

5. RileyJune14117.jpg
    and oh yeah, it came with a soft case, original strap and cord.
    RileyJune14137.jpg

6. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Looks like a beauty. String it up with a nice set of flats (Chromes) :) Enjoy that.

7. Wow!

Sweet deal!

8. Oh yes, flats will be installed. I've run flats on my T-40.

9. No original hard case? Amazing deal as is.

lowsound

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    You know, for a bass that he let students take home, that looks like it's in great shape. You figured there would be at least one giant dent in it or a chunk of wood missing.

11. Great deal!!! Congrats, I love the look of old P-basses!!!

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :eek: $130?!

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    That's the kind of deal I always wish I'd come across...

14. I just emailed him to see if he had the original case around. He had thrown it out because it was in bad shape (wish he wouldn't have), but informed me he has a tweed case that he'll give me. Super cool guy.

15. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    That's an incredible deal. You're a damn lucky guy!

16. Forget that old dust-collector....I want to see the Les Paul copy!

:bag:

Seriously, I've seen greedy guts folk trying to sell '73 and '74 P-basses on Australian ebay for $3K+
    (perhaps that gives you an idea...;)

17. todd_freeride

todd_freeride

May 8, 2006
    WOW congrats on the find :)

And I felt special when I saw a MIM Jazz V for sale for $190.00 :rolleyes:

But OMG, that bass is one sweet looker. Keep that until you die, and when you do die, have it buried with you. or give it to me :D

18. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    Amazing.

I'm going on craigslist right now!

19. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

lucky :crying:

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Guess it was a good thing he is a band teacher and not economics. Great deal- let's just hope it's not cursed or something!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021