1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Deal of a lifetime (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigchad64, Jun 14, 2007.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    My friend's grandparents are what you would call pack-rats, and his grandpa used to play bass "back in the day". When I mentioned that I played bass, the grandpa told me he had his ORIGINAL" '50 something Fender P-bass" in his attic, and if he found it he'd let me know and I could HAVE IT.

Unfortuantely it was his first bass and he decided to keep it for sentimental reasons.

It's been almost a year now, maybe I should ask again?:D

2. Caveat venditor
    - let the seller beware...

3. Hi.

Congrats, what a sweet deal.

I personally am not a fan of Fender basses, but would've jump to that same deal in a second. Not for the profit, but because IMO the price is right ;) .

All this talk about a scam, dishonesty, guilt or what ever, come on, the guy knew what the bass is worth to him and probably roughly what the street price could be. He tried to sell it before for 200$, no luck?

I've had similar deals (NOT that good) where the seller is looking for a "good home" rather than a premium bucks. Takes a little bit of talking, but it's worth it.

Congrats again. That bass seems to have a killer mojo, if not the curse someone mentioned....:D

Just my 0,02€
    Sam

4. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Always hang on to that bass. If the dude didn't realize what he had than that's really his loss and your gain, but the best thing you can do is keep it and not sell it to someone else for way more. know what i'm sayin'?

5. I try to be an honest business person, and honest in my personal life. I've always believed that you have to be able to look yourself in the mirror, and that you answer to a higher power.

I've traded and sold countless firearms, motorcycles and musical instruments over the past 20 years. 3 years ago I was looking for a fairly hard to find vintage motorcross bike, and happened to find one in a rural community for a shopper paper. The guy had had it in his barn, and it was in rough shape and I purchased it for at a great deal. I viewed that as me putting in the time and effort to know what I was looking for, and scouring the internet and local outlets to find. I view this bass the same way. I didn't buy it to make a profit, but even if I did I don't view that as wrong.

I can look myself in the mirror :)

6. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Don't sweat it. You did fine and there is always at least one person in a thread who will rain on your parade. Enjoy the bass and play knowing it has a good story behind it.

7. wow some peopel are just really lucky
    congrats.
    im suprised that the guy diddnt look on ebay and see how much it would have bee worth

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021