Deal of the Century at Music123!!! New Sunn 1200s B-stock $693

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Feb 24, 2004.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yep, that's right. A Sunn 1200s for only $693!!! This is now being produced by fender as the Fender Bassman 1200 for almost twice the price! A killer hybrid amp that puts out 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :hyper:

No, I don't work for Fender/Sunn heh.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, and besides, you'd be dealing with those pinheads at Mucus123.
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    and its 1200W at 2 ohms
  4. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    how many watts at 4 ohms?
  5. Regarding output at 4 ohms, since Fender now makes their "Pro 800" model, with probably the same output section, I'd say it's a good bet the 1200s does 800 WRMS @ 4 ohms as well. Nice. I think I'd prefer the Pro 800 though. I like the front and rear panel features more; also the looks.
  6. I was a big fan of the Sunn 1200s. But I'd also prefer the Fender Pro 800. The Fender 800 has parametric eq, which I prefer over graphic. Also, that Sunn is a B stock, so it's possibly a customer return that has been refurbished. It definetly isn't a bad deal, and to be honest I got excited when I saw a Sunn amp...I was hoping Fender brought them back.
  7. This past year in the South Bend, IN area, as well as at one store in Chicago, I saw the Sunn-badged version of this amp going for close to $650. This is before I'd heard about Fender killing the Sunn name and rebadging it, so I suppose the retailers wanted to move 'em out. I almost bought a used one a couple of years ago, but it had some noise problems. The idea of the large mono amp, however, intrigues me (look at the new Carvin B 1500). As long as I can get 300-400 watts or better at 8 ohms, I'm okay. I use a single 8 ohm Eden 410 XLT cab most of the time.
  8. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I just went to a guitar show in Nashville,and traded my G&L L2000 for a fretless 5 B.Bo bass (a small Maryland luthier).
    After I left the show,I drove up to the Sam Ash in northern Nashville,and they had one of these Sunn amps there that was made in Feb.98',and had been in the store since May of '98.
    I went there because I knew Sam Ash was one of the biggest Hartke dealers in the country,and I was wanting to play through one of their 7000 model amps.It sounded damn good,but the Sunn sounded a little better to my ears,and it had alot more features.
    They had a "blowout" price of $699 on the tag,but I ask the sales chick if she could do any better.She looked in the computer,and said,"How's $499 grab ya?".......SOLD.
    I think this price on this amp is a steal considering that it's new and has a full warranty and all.
    I also played one of the newer versions,with the Fender logo on the front,but it's tone sounded synthetic,and the low end was weak compared to the original Fender/Sunn.
    Then I played through a Fender Pro 800.It's way too clean sounding for the rock/metal thing I'm doing.I think it sounded like an SWR SM-900,but with not as much high end sheen.
    I'm digging the hell out of the compressed,gritty,tubey tone the Sunn produces.It's what an Ampeg is suppose to sound like,but can't due to their 5 preset eq contours that screw everything up.I'll dial in my own tone,thank you.
    If you come across a Sunn 1200s in good shape,pick it up.You won't be sorry you did.