Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dealer help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by handsomeman858, Apr 27, 2004.

1. handsomeman858

handsomeman858

Apr 26, 2004
    Hey guys I'm new. So if I make any mistakes please don't beat me.

Anyway I'm at a dilemma. I want a doublebass with every fiber of my being. So I read the newbie links on how to go about buying one of these beautiful pieces of wood and in one of them it said it would be smart to go and try out various basses at a shop that sells DBs. Now here is the problem I live in a town where the only music stores do not sell DBs. The internet is a big risk because I don't know what they're sending me, and even if I did I can't spot a disaster anyway.

Do you have any suggestions?

2. Welcome to TB! Put your location in your profile. There might be a dealer with in reasonable distance that fellow TBrs can direct you to. Good Luck!

3. handsomeman858

handsomeman858

Apr 26, 2004
    I will do that. thanks!

Wait. How do I do that? :meh:

4. It can be accessed under "userCP"

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But also go to member search and search for BOB GOLLIHUR. Then click on the GO TO HIS WEBSITE and then from his personal website, access his DOUBLE BASS LINKS pages. You'll be able to find a pretty extensive list of luthiers and double bass shoppes, hopefully one will be nearby.

If there's nothing within walking distance, it is going to be a good investment to drive, ride, bus, train, plane it to someplace that has a lot of basses to try out.
    Not a strip mall MUSIC STORE, not a GUITAR CENTER, not a SAM ASH. A real live luthier who works on basses, maybe even builds basses. See the NEWBIE links for the reasons why that's a good idea.

Over and above that, TELL EVERYBODY YOU KNOW that you are in the market for a bass. Who knows what somebody has in the attic, what school may be getting rid of, who's uncle used to play etc. The more people that know you're looking, the more likely that something that isn't 3 hours drive away will come into view.

6. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Look on this website, Items for sale. There have been several interesting instruments for sale. Some very good deals. If at all possible I would recommend you rent first.
    Good Luck
    Walt MI/US