1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dealing with a brilliant musician who's technologically inept

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Yeah, I know someone else has made a similar thread....

Anyway, a guy at uni has asked me for some jam sessions and basic recording work.

My problem- outside of music technology and music software, this guy is clueless. He has no idea about computers- email, the Internet, MySpace/Facebook, Microsoft Office....the guy knows nothing. I've tried to show him but he doesn't get it.

I'm a bit suprised by this as nearly all the musicians I know are pretty up to date with this kinda stuff, especially MySpace and email.

So, should I compromise and just use the old methods of phone/text or is this a hopeless case?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If he really wants your help then he should be willing to at least learn some things you need him to in order to communicate with you.

However, if he simply doesn't have access to those things then that's not his fault. I see no problem with using the medieval Phone technology. Seems to work well.

3. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    What's most important to you Talent or Technology???

4. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    NO FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE......... Fassa, it's a trap! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

5. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    I imagine Stevie Wonder gets by w/o email, facebook and myspace....

nooooo....Fassa........RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

6. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    Microsoft Office...noooooooooooooooo! Fassa RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!

7. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    if he can remotely grasp music software, I find it difficult to believe he can't figure out email.

8. This guy has let me down with phones- the usual bull**** excuses- 'my phone is on charge', 'I had no credit'...etc.

And he is another uni student so he has a unversity internet access privelige. He also has it in his flat...

Both. There is no point in being a brilliant musician if you can't do simple things such as contact his partners (in this case me) or put his music on MySpace.

He's more interested in tinkering about on ProTools.......he's lazy.

9. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    sigd! LOVE IT!

edit: i gotta pay for that! nm....BUT AWESOME post Fassa!

10. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    thats ridiculous, learn to contact him some other way, so he's alittle daft in the computer department, phone him, or meet up with him, as long as he can play and record, thats what he's there for.

11. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    No offense but I think he trying to blow you off...

Does he look the other way and say something like "umm yeah...out of minutes...email whats that?...ahhh, gotta go."

Then again my roommate in college hated computers, he would use mine to write his papers and that was it.

12. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I think you made up your mind .....

13. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    All I know how to do is look at TB and download po... errr.. nevermind.:ninja:

14. Yeah, and what am I supposed to do if I want to send him an mp3 of a bassline?

The guy is desperate to get this recording done so he's NOT trying to blow me off.

Nope!
    :D

15. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    ugh, are you all excuses or something? Screw that, if the dude's too lazy to figure out email, he's too lazy to deal with.

I don't see the problem here, A) if he's desperate to record stuff, he'll learn what he needs to learn. If he's not, he's blowing smoke up your arse. B) If he can remotely figure out pro tools, he's not a technological gimp, he can learn email.

Don't be so wishy washy, if it's so important, either tell him to learn it, or tell him to piss off.

16. You need to separate communication from other issues.

It doesn't MATTER if he doesn't use or like computers. It doesn't matter whether or not he uses Facebook, Myspace or anything else - that stuff is all fluff. It doesn't matter.

Failure to communicate is an issue. You need to decide whether you want to collaborate with someone who doesn't care enough about YOU and your time and help to communicate with YOU. Human interaction and courtesy do matter.

I'd blow the guy off and keep going - but for that reason, not because of anything computer-related. You need to lighten up on that. The real world isn't computer-based.

If he wants to communicate and be available to you, then work with him - and if certain computer-based tools are necessary for your project, let him know what you need him to learn. But remember - a lot of music was written, performed and recorded long before there were computers. Want him to hear a bass line? Play it for him.

17. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    lol at "old methods such as texting".

18. My point to Pilgrim is that outside of music software, this guy is completely hopeless. This issignificant as this guy wants to publish his music.

This guy is also absolutely hopeless with any piece of equipment that isn't a synthesizer. He doesn't understand PA or amp set-up at all and there is NO way that I am taking orders from someone who doesn't know what he's looking at.

19. You guys go to the same school right? Play the bassline for him in person instead of sending it to him via email. You'd be able to get ideas across faster sitting in the same room, as opposed to be sending emails back and forth.

In regards to PA & Amp setup-what does that matter to you? If I understand you right, this guy is interested in recording...not performing.

20. lexxmexx

lexxmexx

Apr 7, 2008
    Wow, an uni student who doesn't know how to operate a computer, that's is totally unheard of in this age and time. How does he manage to submit his school assignments? :confused: