Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing with a deadbeat Talkbass seller...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I bought a bass from a TBer back in December, paid in full before I received it. It was an Eshenbaugh 4 string with a leather Levy's gig bag.

The seller took his time sending me the bass after he got my money and I was very patient. When he finally did send it, it arrived without the gig bag. He assured me the bag would be coming immediately. That was in January.

Over the next few months, no bag. I've caught him on the phone one time, he apologized, saying someone else was supposed to send the bag and that he'd get on it right away. That was well over a month ago. At this point he's not answering emails or returning phone calls.

I have an idea what I'd like to do (ever seen "Fargo") but I'm looking for real world suggestions on what recourse I have short of driving to Madison, WI and confronting this person face to face? It's a ~$200 gig bag and in the big scheme of things not a lot of money but I really don't appreciate being screwed. The fact that it's by a TB member that I've dealt with before makes it all the more aggravating.

Thoughts?

2. first i would post their name in the feedback forum and here as well so others dont get screwed

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I will. Haven't come to a final resolution yet. Or maybe I have?

4. if it has been this long and you have asked him about it before without getting results i would. maybe tell him if i dont get it by .... then i will post it or somthing

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I doubt that would matter, he hasn't posted here since December. I'm more interested in what I can actually do through the proper channels, in real life, to remedy this. It's fraud as far as I can tell.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you are probably beat dude. unless you go to his house. which, if someone screwed me out of a $200 gig bag, i would wait until my band played close to his area, and then pay him a visit.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm in Maryland, chances of me playing in Wisconsin anytime soon are pretty much nil.

The seller is AJ Love. Anyone in or near Wisconsin who knows him?

8. i'm in wisconsin but kindof on the other side of the state!
    do you have his address?

i will probably be going to madison in early may to see green day play (i know i am not much of a punk guy, but my girlfriend is!) i might be able to check things out, but thats not until may...

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I 2nd the FB forum post... That is not cool to be that lax and irresponsible. Hopefully a lesson could be learnt from this.

Bad PR goes a long way... :rolleyes:

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Since you received a shipment from him, you have an avenue for tracking him down via his shipping address. I assume you have records of your transaction wherein he promised to send you the gig bag. Have you considered compiling all of those communiques and filing a police report? I don't know how the jurisdictional thing would be handled (since you would likely file with local police and he lives in WI), but even a call to his house from local authorities to inform him of a criminal complaint would probably get his rear in gear.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

IF he used the United States Postal Service in the course of this transaction, you may have some recourse by contacting the Postal Inspector. Check for a number with the local USPS.

Also, if YOU mailed him the check using the USPS, same may apply, i.e. he used the US mail for a fraudulent transaction.
    This happens to be a Federal felony.

Also, if you used a USPS money order in the transaction,
    he may be guilty of a wire fraud as well.

Given that, if one of those scenarios is the case, you may want to remind him of that, and give him a drop dead date that you will report that. From my business experience, I have found that the Feds have very little sense of humor, and wield some rather large clout. Fortunately, I have never been on the receiveing end of that unwanted attention, but I have met a few people who have regretted their contact with the Federal Gummint and its prison system to varying degrees.

Hope it works out, Brad.

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I recommend finding jugghaid-- he'll know what to do.

13. Oh man, I hate that anybody would do that, but especially a fellow TB'r. :mad:

Given that the chipper/shredder is out of the question ( I assume that's the Fargo reference ;) ) there is small claims court. Although I don't know how practical that would be across state lines.

+1 on the USPS.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Looks like he had some issues in that thread. Guess I should've paid closer attention.

This is my second transaction with him... that's what makes all of this seem so odd. I have no idea what's going on.

I still have his address and the PMs where he says he'll be sending the bag, which should've been sent in the first place. I paid for this with USPS money orders. I've called him and goteen his answering machine so that's still working. He doesn't respond to emails.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Worth a try. Since he's decided to force my hand, what the heck.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

We have a feedback forum? Update Just noticed it for the first time, very nice. :)

17. this is just comeuppance for the sickeningly good deals you always get.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    spendid. what's that mean?

19. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I've been ripped off so I sympathize. I think that contacting the seller one last time to tell him of your intention to post negative feedback about him with regards to your transaction if he does not contact you and send the gigbag. Given your reputation on TB as a prolific buyer of basses and a stand up guy I think it will reflect poorly on him. In the end of the day if the guys integrity and reputation is worth $200.00 then too bad for him.
    Good luck

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    True.

:D