Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing with big/fat bodied basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 8, 2001.

1. I tried an epiphone rivoli bass and loved the sound/look and feel...the only thing I did`nt like was the BIG round body and how it made my shoulder ache from playing it. :(

Someon told me that if I played standing up it would not be as akward and cumbersome.Others have told me that eventually you become used to the large body and adapt.

What do you tbers think?I was dead set on getting a Jack Cassidy way back when...but after I tried the rivoli I figured it just was not going to work. *sigh*

Thanks for responding!

2. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    As an owner of some biguns, I can tell you that it will still feel a little awkward for a long time, no matter how you wear the bass. My Epiphone ripper reissue is big bodied and heavy, but the look and tone are worth it for me (but only for playing queen covers).

3. it's easier for me to play one standing up...less of pain. Eventually you get used to it.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're more likely than not making it this way because their market researchers decided that not replicating the huge original it knocks-off would kill sales.

With today's technology, they may well have been able to reduce the body, but I imagine people who consider buying it, except for maybe you, Usul, and a few others, are basing much of their decision on how much it apes the original rather than sound.

BTW, stupid as it sounds, I get really turned off by these teensy-weensy bodies, like Warriors and Warwicks. I imagine the basses are fine, (never tried `em personally, but some pro's use `em). I'm just old enough to think that body size affects the richness of the sound.

5. Usul, yes hollow body/big body basses are a little bit of a pain to play because of their size, but it's not that much of a hinderence. That's one of the first things I noticed about my Casady when I got it, but the little discomfort you experience is amply rewarded by the tone of this instrument. I agree with Rickbass about the size affecting the sound. Small bodies look nice, but a lot of them don't balance well. One advantage of playing a big body bass is that when you go back to a standard size body, they fell so small and easy to play. Don't let the size scare you off. Hey, think about what upright players go through every time they play.

It's just like a big body woman... more lovin'!

Mike J.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. rickbass,hey man...I totally agree with you.I am a vintage/retro freak and LOVE the looks of the classic instruments. ;) I think a bass should be big damn it! lol ...then again I have a big gut to balance it on! :D

Micheal,hey some of my most memorable moments have been with "fat bottom girls"!! :D ;)

JMX ,mensch!Woher denn diese wahnsinnigen Kreaturen? Kann man welche normalewise benutzen oder? Sie sehen ziemlich cool aus! :D
    Hey kommst Du nicht mehr online oder?

Usul