Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing With Calouses

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by int, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Well we lost our drummer again, but we have shows booked and we don't want to step back, so I setup my kit and we got a good friend to fill in on bass for the time being.

We've been practicing every night for the past few days, and I'm working my butt off, so I've got all these new calouses on my hands (mostly because I have bad technique - working on it) that need to be hardened and ready to go by Saturday night.

We all have to build them up after some downtime, but does anyone have any reccommendations to speed up the healing process? Lately I've been using Neosporin and NuSkin but I'm open to any natural solutions you guys have. Someone suggested an olive oil soak that I'm a little doubtful of, although I can't see how it will hurt.

I'm no foreigner to playing through the burn. I'll accept the pain and work through it, but if anyone has any suggestions, lmk.

Oh, and if anyone knows a good punk drummer in the Denver area, have them email me! I'm losing these well built bass playing finger tips I've worked hard to build - the last thing I need is to get those 13 year old boy hands I'm not used to... :)

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I actually like 13-year-old boy hands! Wait, did I just say that out loud?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like you know that it's gonna take time for those babies to harden properly. In the meantime, I recommend smearing a light coating of superglue on your 'tips. Just don't try to peel it off after you're done playing, let it wear off on its own!

3. heh. :)

Actually you reminded me to pick up another tube of superglue and some more duct tape - if not for my hands, my car has a few leaks I need to take care of.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    soak your hands/fingers in tea.

they'll turn brown, but the tannic acid will also toughen up your skin.

5. Black/Orange tea? I've got an assortment of green, peppermint, black, orange, licorice, etc...

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sometimes not playing can help too.

That depends on how much time you have in between reheasals.

If you're playing Speed Rock, or Thrash, it's physical as well as toughening up. Others may have better remedies.

Time heals most wounds.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Go chop some hardwood with a 10-lb wood splitter for a couple of afternoons. Stack all that chopped wood by hand - don't wear gloves. That'll build you some callouses that'll last!