Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing With Dead Spots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So, you've spent a big chunk of money and bought a bass that you really, really like -- great tone, wonderful neck, etc., except for one problem: a dead spot at the 5th fret (C) of the G string. Setup and string changes won't fix it, so it seems like you've got 3 options:

1. Do your best to live with and work around the dead spot, recognizing that lots of great basses have dead spots and that listeners won't hear it the way you do.

2. Add weight (via one contraption or another) to the headstock and hopefully move the dead spot to a less important location (e.g., above the 12th fret).

3. Sell the bass and find another without the dead spot.

I'm really curious what people advise in this circumstance. A few days ago I thought I had finally found the bass -- only to discover today that it has a #$%@ dead spot. I gigged with it tonight and it felt and sounded great -- though I could feel myself avoiding the B and C on the G string.

I can still return the bass and get my money back -- but I'm really not sure whether that's the right thing to do.

2. to me you have two options:

1.Live with it.

2.Send back for refund, then buy the same bass back. No money lost, except for shipping, but if its that important you wouldn't mind.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    How many separate threads on this do we need?

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Adding weight will move the dead spot up the neck, or towards the middle of the free lenght of it, depending on how you do it. So, you will have your dead spot either on a lower note or higher, but still in your playing range. Thus: not a solution.
    Live with it or get rid of it. Or change to a better neck...

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Changing to lightweight tuners can work also. You get a dead spot when the physical location of a neck resonance antinode coincides with the fret /string position for that same frequency, or its harmonic.

Changing headstock mass wil change the resonant frequencies and positions, possibly making them no longer line up with the fretting positions and fretted note frequencies.

Here's a paper on the cause of dead spots: http://www.unibw-muenchen.de/campus/LRT/I04/hauptdoc.html