dealing with drop d tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JerryR, May 26, 2000.

1. JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    How do you guys (that play the stuff) deal with tuning down to D during a gig ?
    I don't have but 1 bass so changing is out for me. Are there any products out there such as carvin's hipshot that may be added on ?? [​IMG]
  2. Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    I've got the same problem you do, and I put up a post under "strings". I think it was called B-string retuning. Several people suggested buying a Hipshot D-Tuner. I haven't been able to try one yet, but it looks pretty good. You replace your E-string tuner with it. There's a small lever on the back of it that you use to tune your E-string to D. You can go to to look at them. I think they're actually called Xtender Keys.

The problem with drop-d tuning is that it messes your intervals up, so the notes aren't in the right places when you go up to the other strings. I'm using a 5-string, and I'm considering tuning the B up to D just for this purpose. That way the top 4 strings can remain in tune. I'm thinking of getting one of those Xtender Keys for this.

Hope this helped a little.
  3. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The hipshot D-tuner, extender, what ever you want to call it, is a great inexpensive and easy way to tune down the E string. I have one and couldn't gig without it. They run about $100, depending on the bass you have.
  4. JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    Thanx for the replies....I'm gonna check out the website.
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I used to have basses with Hipshots before I got my 5 strings. They are great little devices. Never had a problem with them after I got used to everything being down 2 frets. I still have one to replace a black Gotoh type tuner if anyone is interested!

Chris A.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have replaced the "E" tuner on my Spector with a hipshot. Wonderful invention! But, some things to be aware of...

Changing the pitch on just one string alters the tension on the neck, so it may (however slight) alter the tuning of all other strings. Also, I've found flipping back and forth between the D and E with the hipshot DOES alter the tuning a little bit. I think it's impossible to get it perfect. But, it is an inexpensive and very convenient way to alter tunings.

If you want to change tunings on all strings, you can do what Michael Manring does...put a hipshot on EVERY string!
  7. AND pay $400
  8. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I assume this means that a Hipshot Xtender will be able to fit in-between the other tuners? or only if you flip them all at once?

I'm interested in the idea of putting the Hipshot Xtender on my 5-string Fender Jazz on the E string while leaving the B, A, D, G strings with normal tuners.