Dealing with "revenge" Yelp reviews

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SoCal80s, Jul 26, 2021.

1. We just fired our singer and he posted all kinds of crap on his Facebook page about us and asked his friends to go give us bad Yelp reviews. He was thoughtful enough to instruct them to "be truthful" so the reviews don't get taken down. So the bad reviews basically say that the band is always drunk, and blah blah blah. Which is a problem because if it just said "these guys are jerks" it would be easy to have removed since it is an obvious personal attack. We are down to 1 star now.

Has anybody had success removing or otherwise dealing with these kinds of things on Yelp?

SirMjac28 and Ellery like this.
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    How does a band get a Yelp listing?
    Why would you want one?
    How do you make it go away ?

3. Slightly change your band name.

MattZilla, J_Bass, DJ Bebop and 6 others like this.
  4. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Can't you respond to the reviews? I would call them out for having been left by a friend of an disgruntled ex-bandmate.
    Or, just don't worry about it. I can't think of a single person has used yelp as their deciding factor of whether or not to go see a band.

5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    Revenge yelpers. Sounds like the return to Amy’s Baking Company

6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Do what businesses do. Pay people to write good reviews.

Yelp and their ilk are worthless, IMO.

7. You could always post a link to the page and we can add a bunch of 5 star reviews...5 stars for the band, one star for the singer..lol

EspressoJoe, RSBBass, design and 12 others like this.
  8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Ask to speak to a manager?

9. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Post a link here and ask TB's to compensate.

Alik, J R Knots, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  10. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I wouldn’t know how to create a Yelp entry for a band, nor would it occur to me to search for a band on Yelp. If I wanted Chinese food in Charleston, NC I would look on Yelp.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If you pay Yelp for a premium business membership you can edit and even remove reviews you don’t like.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) I don't think anybody looks at a yelp band review.

2) Pay for premium for a couple of months until this dipstick goes away. Then you can edit and respond to posts.

3) Post it here and we'll all do a zillion positive reviews.

What a D bag. Please tell he's in his twenties.

13. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd just delete the Yelp account lol

Down southeast where I am, you're likely to find out about a band via IG. Yelp is for the best pupusas or that awesome Irish pub with a retired priest who'll cuss you out if you're rude.

mikewalker, QRanc, Winoman and 6 others like this.
  14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I’ve never once thought to look at yelp for a band. Hell now that so many restaurants have facebook pages I typically just use that. I can’t remember the last time I even looked at yelp.

Like others suggested, have other people leave positive reviews, or just delete the page unless it’s bringing in business.

Or, take screen shots of your ex-singer’s page urging the negative reviews and see if Yelp’s customer service will do anything about it.

15. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    If you're set on having a yelp listing, I would say just perform well and hopefully your fans will leave a nice review. From reading other peoples posts though, apparently you can just pay yelp for a premium subscription so you can just edit the reviews to your liking? Seems like a pretty flawed system if that is the case so I'd just go ahead and delete it altogether.

I work in the hospitality industry so I definitely understand the value of a good review but we would never try to buy good reviews or pay to have poor reviews removed. YMMV

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax Guest

Apr 21, 2020
    Anyone who knows you, has seen your shows, will judge for themselves.
    Don't stress, remove them, block them, report them OR answer their criticisms.
    We should not be afraid of criticism.
    For it is just 1 aspect of revealing both relative and absolute truth... The other aspect that helps reveal relative and absolute truth, is, Self Criticism.
    When applied in conjunction, and correctly, they become a very powerful tool.
    You'll be able to "Givem' enough rope!".

Your choice.

mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    ive heard of this "yelp" thing but do not use it. how and why is your band on yelp? looks like there are 7 on yelp in chicago. interesting....

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    As has been posted a couple of times now...post a link to your band on Yelp and we can post some glowing reviews for you.

Grizelda100 and HardNHeavy like this.
  19. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Turn the other butt cheek and call it a day. **** happens.

Novarocker, TonyP- and cnltb like this.
  20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Is the band any good?

blastoff, sidewaysbass and Ekulati like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021