1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dealing with serious felony charges within the band...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 5StringFool, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Ok guys... my band is in a dilemma. One of our members of two years who seems like a really stand up guy and had never done anything even remotely out of line within the band has been indicted on some very serious felony charges. Read the link below for details. None of the rest of us in the band see a way forward with him in the band, even though these are only allegations at this point. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

https://www.irontontribune.com/2019...oYju2NE6ujvYWsXUKI8TiHRzfLYbyz8C_-L85vDysIesA

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Replace him? Even if he's innocent, he's not getting out of that mess any time soon.

3. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    That's the way we're all leaning... we're hoping it's not such a black eye to the band name that we have to reboot though. We have 15 gigs scheduled between now and the end of the year. :unsure:

LBS-bass likes this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, he's gonna be too busy trying to keep his butt out of prison to be in a band.

If he's not the front man or you're not a trio, I don't see this as reflecting that much on the band if you get him out immediately.

5. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I think you would want to act on this as quickly as is reasonable. If the guy didn't do it, I feel bad for him, but there's no denying that having him in prison and dealing with this would mean he won't be able to do what needs to be done. He would surely understand this.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Gah. Get him out. Cut ties immediately. Multiple social media posts about how he is leaving the band immediately due to the legal issues he has, and how the band does not condone ANYTHING of the sort.

7. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I wouldn't draw attention to it like that. Simply saying that so and so is the new <whatever instrumentalist> once you find that person is enough. Most people don't pay enough attention to the news to even know this is going on. You want to keep it that way.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would think you need to replace him asap. Innocent or not, he is going to have more important things to be doing, and he shouldn't be hanging around bars and clubs right now.

9. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    I like the idea of kicking him out of the band right now; also start looking for a replacement; all with NO MENTION AT ALL ANYWHERE as to why. Replace him on the low-low, simple as that.

No one has anything to gain by your band announcing one of its members rapes minors (or anything else).

10. Innocent until proven guilty. You can't fire him properly until he no shows your rehearsals.

You could ask him if he expects to be available for anything in the next month, no, later dude.

Aloe, Rum Ham, Charlzm and 9 others like this.
  11. yeah, this guy is done...He tampered with evidence which means tried to or did destroy stuff, and innocence is this sort of thing is something that really for the bands' sake hardly even matters..Even if he somehow beats the charges which I doubt will happen, his rep is ruined. This is headed for one of two scenarios..either a plea deal in which case he is going to prison, or a trial which is even worse because there is almost no way to defend yourself in cases like this..

You or your defense team is not allowed to attack the accusers because they are minors. That's a huge problem in a case of this sort ( if you're innocent ) you basically have to prove beyond doubt that you didn't do it to 12 people that will be ready to convict pretty much as soon as the DA finishes his opening statement. Almost impossible to garner any sympathy or support from a jury in a case like this especially if there is any physical evidence..

This guy is toast like it not..even if he is innocent he is going to do some time I guarantee it..

replace him immediately like today..there is no way you can have him at a gig..at all..he is toxic to your band at this point..again innocence doesn't even matter..it is what it is.

A possible side benefit though, he probably will need to sell his gear off to pay for legal representation that you could probably score on the cheap..( I know that's probably a bad thing to say but probably also true)

12. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    The police might 'investigate' the band members as well. Good luck.

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That might be, but a lay-off/suspension from the band while he deals with situation is not unwarranted. As @LBS-bass said, being in a band is likely not this guy’s priority for the foreseeable future...guilty or not guilty.

14. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    One... let him go.. y'all could've figured that out on your own..

Two.. It's pretty crappy sharing this guys personal info, especially about something this serious(possibly) on here..

Good luck

15. You can't get rid of this guy fast enough. Dragging your feet will look like you're sympathetic to a pedophile... in all likelihood because you're acting sympathetic to a pedophile.

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I smell Elvis tribute band...

17. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    For the OP - this is bad advice. Do not over react. Everything should be handled in a discreet, professional manner. For now the charges are allegations - not facts. You open yourself up to future animosity at the least and legal challenges at worst if the allegations are not properly proven. Note that he may be guilty as hell, but if he is acquitted or the charges bargained down he is NOT guilty. The advice to put him on ice or release him pending outcome of his situation is right. Find your replacement and move on with as little drama as possible.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Replace Him

xroads64 likes this.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    You mean that newspaper article which is available literally to everyone in the world who has access to the Internet? That personal info?

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    ... or even worse...

mikewalker and Aqualung60 like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.