Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing with the public.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Turski, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    The town I live in has an annual fair every labor day weekend called the Woodstock fair. Both the wife & I work it every year taking money for parking. What cracks me up the most are the people that complain & scream about paying $5 for parking, hand you a $20 bill, and then drive off mad. Do I chase after them to give them their change? Hell No!! Anger & stupidity just cost them an extra $15 bucks.

We worked 56 hours in 4 days, (today was the last day) made $1100 cash from the fair, and $50 in angry people drive away without waiting for change money. I have no complaints about the money we made, it just helps to relieve some GAS pains. ;)

We did meet a few really cool people over the weekend, but 80% of the people were just complete asses. It amazes me how rude public people can be. I find it much harder to deal with general public the older I get, how do you cope with it? :confused:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

a baretta .50 cal.

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, I've noticed people are generally very rude in public now. And it's not just teenagers; I've seen adults act like complete pricks. I'm a Police Explorer with my local PD, so we do traffic and community relations at a lot of local events.

At a music festival we were doing, we shut down traffic in one direction so pedestrians could get down to the parking lots and shuttle buses. We were assigned at posts to make sure people stayed on the sidewalks and didn't walk in the lane that had traffic. A lot of people were very rude in general, sneering and name-calling. You might expect this from kids or teens, but these were adults :rollno:

I've just learned to try to not argue with these idiots, and radio in for an officer if somebody got violent or beligerent. So far, it hasn't happened yet. It's just sad when these people acting like this are supposed to be the adults; the parents; the "role models". No wonder society is going downhill.

Vince

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I had a lady that was maybe in her late 50's hand me $5 and tell me to, "Go shove it up your ass." I smiled and said, "Thank you, have good time at the fair."

It wasn't all bad. My wife kept pointing out all the hot women for me. She's got great taste in women. I'm very lucky to have such an awesome wife. :D

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember working a worse job at the Woodstock fair when I was 16- I was one of the people that had to direct people where to park with an orange stick. Talk about impatient asses- half of the people would just ignore us and try to park where they please. Parking in general makes a lot of people furious- like if they can't get what they want right away, they'll throw a fit. Maybe it's because I don't drive, but I've never understood it...just pay to park if you need to (it's not like they don't spend a hundred bucks a pop inside on junk anyways) and wait until you get a spot.

Same thing happens at all of the malls around Christmas. When I was out in Cleveland, you had to pay to park at a couple of shopping areas, and the same sort of aggrivation prevailed.

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    i would give the 5$ back and then after she parked have her towed away... and while she is looking for her car i would laugh...

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    As well as being a teacher I work part-time in a grocery store. The other day this lady asked if we had any larger bags of spinach. I said "no we do not." She said "how do you know?" Then demanded I go look in the back. I told her I know we dont have any because they dont come in sizes any larger than what she had in her hand. She said scowled, and said "you're pathetic." I said, "Have a great day." Then she complained to management on me and I got in trouble. I just laugh to myself, because with some people you cant win so why get stressed about it?

There are always going to be people who are jerks, but I find the majority of people where I live to be very friendly in general.

8. There was a woman on Sunday night who didn't like her pizza and wanted to talk to the manager, who was busy - and we told her this - so she decided to bang her fists against the counter and upset everyone in the shop.

I'm surprised I haven't been reported for having a go at her. Not violently, though; just putting her in her place - and I know that's not the wisest move, but I couldn't breathe, and she just wasn't helping my mood at all.

All that fuss, over a pizza.

9. people suck. Truly.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

She was buying a pizza in Australia- how could she have expected it to not be bad?

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    So joe, you've had any older woman tell you to shove it up your ass too huh? Only I think the one I had was in her 80's :) I work as an operator at my job and in the 6 years I've been there I've gotten to the point where I've lost faith in there being any nice decent people. The majority of people I deal with are just downright rude and nasty. I couldn't imagine saying half the things that have been said to me for anyone. I know that if any friend or relative I have treated someone that way I'd be ashamed to say I know them.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

:D :D :D :D :D

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Excuse me I specifically asked for NO wallaby!

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    there are jems out there , but it doesn't give me pizza-mind.
    :bag:

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was working in a service job, and had this exchange with an older fellow. He was about 50 or so;

Me:Sir, you can't go through that door. It'll lead you to the outside, and they won't let you back in. Where are you trying to go, I'll help you.
    him: Blow me!
    me: I don't recipricate!
    him: what the hell does that mean?!
    Afterwards, I was reported. :rollno:

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I learned a LONG time ago. The public sucks. When you expect it, it is easier to deal with.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ding, ding, ding! Toss this man a sausage! Great post! :bassist:

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I did have one car towed. One guy refused to pay to park, drove away, then parked in a spot blocking in 2 other cars. He got out of the car gave me the finger, and then walked towards the fair. I smiled, waved, then called for a tow truck. I never got to see him come back out to look for his car. I was gone for the night by then. But I did see the 2 other cars leave.

Wow, they gave you an orange stick? All the parkers this year had nothing. Not even those lame orange vests.

Before I started working the fair, I stayed away from that place. Traffic around here is crazy. It took me almost an hour to drive less than a mile to get home last night. After 4 days of standing in the sun, burnt to a crisp, swollen feet & tired, I had no patience left. It was worth it though. I'll be doing it again next year.

That's just wrong, on so many levels. :D

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

yay for towing the guys car... He ruined his own nice day over $5 and sad part is he wont learn... he wont understand that he was a prime reason why a good day turned bad for him...

Oh and um...

DADDY WOULD YOU LIKE SOME SAUSAGE?
    DADDY WOULD YOU LIKE SOME SAUSAGE?
    [​IMG]

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has been the story of my career!! ;)

So - when I first started working, for about the first 4 years, I was dealing directly with the general public.

Initially, it was source of amusement - how stupid people were and it gave me a sort of confidence that it seemed like 99% of them were total idiots !! :D

But after a while it just gets tiresome and irritating and I have made sure with subsequent jobs I have taken, that they are as far away from dealing with the General Public as possible - I don't think I've talked to an actual customer more than a few times in the last 10 - 15 years!! :)

Initially I moved into Personnel, where it was slightly better - dealing with employees - but then I moved into project management and then Marketing strategy/consultancy ; where the public are safely at arm's length.

In fact I remember our Marketing director having a whole team of people whose jobs it was, to stop the general public getting through to him!!