Dealing with the show boat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toony, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    I need some opinions from anyone who cares to share advices.

The situation: We're working on some new songs for our next attempt, some of the songs, very few, are working great. The songs that the other members of the band come up with works out. But this guy, our guitarist, all of his ideas are nothing but minutes and minutes of forced guitar solos. Not in the traditional sense, but basically him playing non stop forcing all of the other instruments out of the mix.

Now, I'm not the backing (playing what he plays) type of bassist, but I will. Despite, even if i back him the songs become muddy, because there's no rests no mood, just continous guitar and such. Our drummer and I have come up with tons of different combinations and together our sound is tight and compliments, but nothing is working when we match it to his.

Now, we don't want to get rid of him because we're a close group, and this all didn't happen last time....maybe because he didn't come up with the initials, I don't know. Anyhow, it's not like I'm not going to tell and that I'm afraid, I'd just prefer not to make it seem like we're all against him and make him stop coming with ideas. Nor would I like to discourage his opinion, nor hurt his feelings.

Any opinions, if things don't make sense....blame the alcohol. =)
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Not really GI type stuff, let's go to Misc.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. Talk!

Talk to him about it, only way it'll get sorted. Just tell him it's hard to make a song from a complete guitar solo, you know, how you feel. That's how we write songs, discuss what we think once it's made up,c hange bits here and there, and then booya. :)
  4. Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Yeah, I actually talked to him yesterday. Basically I just decided to talk to him myself, without the others, making sure I made it out plain and simple. He got the idea. Will it change anything in the future? Likely.

Anyhow, thanks.
  5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Tooney, you did the right thing to talk to him one on one. Musicians, being a sensative lot, get defensive if they think everyone is teaming up on them. Some more than others. If you diss someone in front of other people, it tends to get their hackles up. It is always best to make these types of talks private. YMMV