Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean 12 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anyone else played one of these?

Most anyone here that knows me knows that I am a 4 string proponent.

I was at one of my local music stores last nite and the bass guy threw one in my hands and wow, it was SWEET. Standard EADG setup with 2 octave strings for each main string. Does that make any sense? The neck wasn't too wide and it was remarkably and relatively comfy to play. No, I won't be buying one, but it has some sweet/thick/melodic sounds.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sean, I will own a 12 string of some sort eventually.

I know you don't like King's X, but you can get great examples of that instrument's capabilities on Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen goes to Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, as well as the first Galactic Cowboys album and Cheap Trick's stuff.

The 12 string was pretty much Tom Peterson's(Cheap Trick) invention, with the help of Hamer. He now has 12, 15 and 18 string basses, but doesn't play Hamer anymore.

I wish somebody around here had one of those Deans for me to compare with the new import Hamer 12.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I tried those Hamer 12 strings.. didn't like them.. its soo hard to play, and its impossible to slap/pluck.. unless you puck one of those octave strings :) well anyways. John Turner will say that you wouldn't need those kinda basses.. just use some componant to make the same sound :)

DM

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I tried one of the high end Hamers, and one of the cheap ones, and to me, they were very easy to play, almost as easy as a 4 string.

Slap sounded cool, but popping was pretty difficult.

Hey Sean, aren't 4 strings enough for anybody? ;):p

:ducks under desk::

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Fellas, I don't mean to pick a fight here, but why would you want to slap/pop a 12 string? I mean, I know you CAN, but it seems to me that there are other tools better suited for that style. I certainly don't mean to pigeonhole anyone's playing style, but from my experience w/8's and 12's, using a pick (which I generally avoid) is the only way to take full advantage of the lush sounds these babies can produce.

course, what do I know?

Dave

[Edited by Jazzbassman on 12-14-2000 at 07:46 PM]

6. I would like to check out one of those deans, too. I've played the import hamer but I just can't see paying 900 dollars for a korean bass, y'know what I mean. :D

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hah! yES!!!

I wouldn't mind having one of the dean 12ers, but i caould only see it being used in the studio...on RARE occasion...as i said, cool sounds and felt great to play.