1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theory028, Feb 19, 2008.

1. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I took a trip to Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI today with a friend of mine. He is looking to buy a new acoustic guitar to take to college next fall. As we were looking through their great selection of acoustic guitars, I saw a lonesome Dean 5 string acoustic bass. I picked that bad boy up and played for a while.

You know how it goes. A few minutes of messing around and an attractive price tag can drive a man to do crazy things. I've been wanting a five string bass for a while. I had my eye on a certain Ibanez electric bass, but I never felt like putting down $600 for it.

Going on with the story, I played the Dean for a while and it started to grow on me. It would satisfy several of my needs. I need a five string, I need a bass I can take to college (along with my electric, of course :p ), and I need an acoustic.

The Dean is priced at $250 with a hardshell case. I'm planning on taking another trip up there on Saturday. We're both going to buy our instruments at that time.

One problem I am running into is that I can't find any information about this model online. According to the website inventory, it is a Dean Performer 5 Plus '01.

[​IMG]

It was easy to pick up and play but hard to put down. It was like one of those eye-opening experiences that makes you fall in love with the low end all over again.

Does anyone have any opinion on this bass? Is the price fair or could I talk them down a little bit? I'm a big fan of the store so I don't mind paying a little bit extra.

I'm looking forward to some unplugged acoustic sessions with my buddies. This summer is going to be awesome. I can't think of anything better than hanging out around a fire, having a beer or two, and jamming. The experience alone would be worth the price tag.

2. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It's $250 including a hardshell case!? I don't see how you can go wrong!

3. no freaking way, it cost me $450 for my Ibanez four string ABG with hardshell.

4. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I was hoping to get an Ibanez, but I don't have that kind of money at the moment. I have also decided that I need to get a five string. The cheapest Ibanez five string acoustic I found was a blemished unit from Musician's Friend for $430.

5. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    I played one a few weeks ago and was also impressed. I very nearly bit, but I have too many instruments as it is. From all I can tell, it is a decently-made inexpensive instrument. The five-string was ginormous but played very nicely. For the price (I saw it for $229), it is a very good deal.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  7. Jouni

Jouni

Feb 8, 2008
    Porvoo
    Sodom!!!!....

I paid some 500 euros for my Takamine 4-string, and without the case.

And only use it once a year, when we gather to an island on lake Saimaa for a 2-3day drunken jamming sessions. Wish I'd run into those sooner.:meh:

8. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Ah. The inventory section of the site claimed that it was a Performer. I guess all that matters is that I've played it and enjoyed the feel of it.

I called and put the down payment on it. I'm going to pick it up on Saturday morning. Then I'm heading off to Rochester MN for some indoor golf fun. What a fantastic day off.

9. guyfergy

guyfergy

Feb 17, 2008
    Westminster
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think this is accurate. The OP says the bass in question is listed by the store as an '01. I assume it is used. Dean changes their specs between years often, many older Performers exist without quilt tops. The store has it inventoried as an '01 Performer, and the price is right in line with that description assuming it's in good shape. I believe the older Performers have a solid Spruce top as opposed to the laminate on the Playmate. Also, the Performer may have a larger body, maybe uncomfortably large (good for sound!).

Either way it's tough to go wrong if you like the bass. The Playmates are good for the money, but the Performers, IMO, are on a whole other level of goodness. Made in Korea, better woods, better electronics, better built, better everything. The Performers I have tried have impressed me a great deal. I haven't tried the newer quilt top Performer, but the older models I've tried have impressed me.

Go for it!

I want to see pics! Look inside the soundhole for model information; there should be a piece of paper in there telling you what it is.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Now when have you known music stores to be totally accurate when it comes to I.D.ing used instrument models much less the years they were produced? The Playmate has a huge body and I can't see a Performer having an even bigger body. I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong. It seems there isn't a very good accounting and numbering method for import instruments by any manufacturer. Who knows what it is for sure(except for Dean and that may be pushing it!;)). That being said, great price and I wouldn't pass it up.

12. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I'll pick it up on Saturday and check the inside to see if that holds any clues about what it actually is. I'm hoping that they are right about it being a Performer.

The inventory site took it off the list. :) That makes me feel good. I can't wait for Saturday morning to roll around. I picked a good time to reserve it. They used to have a four string acoustic bass on there as well, but I don't see it anymore.

13. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a four string dean playmate that a coworker keeps in my office. Great feel, great action. I really dig it. No idea what it sounds like plugged in, but it is certainly a bang for the buck.

14. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I picked up the bass today and took a peek inside. The label says that it is a Performer.

I can hardly put this thing down! If I weren't so tired from last night's festivities, I would mess around with it some more. I'll have to take some pictures and compare it to my Ibanez GSR200.

I'm going to look around for some new strings. The set on the Dean feels grimy. I'll give it a while before I switch them, but I'd like to put a fresh set on and see how it sounds.

15. try D'addario coated strings, or Elixirs.

16. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Do the strings have to be marketed as acoustic? I'd prefer a set of Elixirs but I don't see any on Musician's Friend that are in the acoustic section.

I am considering these. If using regular strings on an acoustic is OK and sounds good, I'll look for a set of Elixirs.

I need to get a new set fast. These strings are starting to rip up my fingers.

17. I would stick with Acoustic strings. I (used to) play my acoustic unplugged a great deal, and I really wanted that bright, acoustic guitar sound. That and the coating made things feel really friendly. There are plenty of other ABG users that don't use Acoustic strings, you can ask them about their experiences.

18. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Thanks for the advice. I also plan on mainly playing without an amp. I really like the sound of the bass as it is now, but the current strings just aren't cutting it.

Perhaps I'll place an order for those DRs. I just hope that they are easy to play and feel nice.

19. Try some GHS Fast fret. Makes everything feel nice and slick.

20. theory028

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Nice. The reviews for Fast Fret on MF are great. I just might have to give it a try.