1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Acoustics? Kicking my Attitude LTD II to the curb.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gojiras_Hejira, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Love my Yamaha, but I'm not playing it. If it gets a high enough bid this weekend, I want to buy 2 entry-level acoustics (fretted & fretless). But I have a habit of walking away from this hobby and get very rusty. I absolutely have to be certain that if it sounds awful, it's me & not the bass. I did a search on Dean Performers in the forums here and got lots of opinions that don't go beyond making a purchase, but would like to know if anyone (who is not a novice like me) has spent any amount of time with them (the fretless especially). I have to buy this immediately before my "bass money" is absorbed into the household bank account and lost to car repair or some such silly thing.

I want to Jonas Hellborg-it-up!

thanks!

~Jimm

2. Not alot of love around these parts for ABG's but, I LOVE my fretless ABG! Having owned several makes and models, I wouldn't own another fretted one. LOTS of fret rattle.......very noisy!

I set my MK fretless up with tapewounds and I can EQ a tone that approaches that of an upright.

One fact you MUST accept.......there is no ABG, regardless of what anybody tells you, regardless of the make or model, that will keep up with any more than 2 acoustic guitars, at BEST, without having to plug it in to an amp.

3. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Thanks. I just play at home, alone. I rarely even turn my amps on for the electrics (even the fretlesses). So tone is important.

4. Get the car fixed...

5. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Car is OK right now. It will likely break down as soon as I sell the bass! Prolly take the tax check with it, too!

or do you say that specifically in response to Dean Performers?
    ~Jimm

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've got the Dean Playmate AEB. It's decent, but I like it for the most part and probably wouldn't need to replace it with anything "better" anytime soon. Has a huge, fat neck. Thicker than my P bass. Has nice binding on it. It's attractive IMO.

dean.

The oversized body pushes out more sound that other AEB's I've played. I've jammed it with guitars unplugged no problem. The PU in it kinda sucks at the moment, but I think I need it readjusted - there's almost no signal coming from the E string but all other strings are fine and loud and clear.

I have dropped it a few times here and there. It's a total beater with some wear and tear you can't see in the pic. I have brought it on camping trips, sidewalk jams, to the beach, to name a few places.

The best part was, I got it for only $90 off a kid on Craigslist w/ a stand and gig bag.

I'd recommend it for fun and practicality. OTOH, I'd probably get one of those Victor Bailey Fender Acoustics if I really needed something nice and was planning on gigging seriously or recording with my AEB. I beat the crap out of this one.

7. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    They seem pretty nice.

8. Well, ok, nothing against Dean Performers any more than any other cheap ABG. Maybe take the $$ from the Yamaha and the tax refund and look at a higher level acoustic/electric if you absolutely must have one. I'd buy a good small combo amp and stay with the electrics.

9. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!

That is not as simple as it sounds! Certain ABG do better than others... The Tacoma Thunder-chief ids very good. Ultimately the body must be big and as deep as possible..... 125mm at least.
    Secondly any instrument below a certain pitch\frequency is going to have to amp up, in a room with a certain threshold of people. A good ABG, with ha solid Top will keep up with a 2 guitars, a violin and anything else in a certain context. If you are in a sitting room or under tree that's fine, but even in a small pub gig the guitars will go through the PA anyhow.

Obviously the objects,(People), that will soak up the sound waves the more volume you'll need. The lower the frequency the more it is affected. I mean I've been in a truly unplugged session with a Double bass that was loud, and that struggled, yet outside it didn't.

It is all relative....

10. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Yeah, Michael Hedges taught us how to amplify acoustics if we need to.
    There are a few lessons from Tori Amos as well.

I can't spend money because I have too many hobbies. I have treat myself like my parents treated me: "We'll buy you a cheap one at first Jimmy; if you stick with it we'll buy you a nicer one..."

I'd love a Taylor like Bryan Beller's or tricked out Wechter but...

for now I'll make do with "stays in-tune".

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I have one I play in my living room, and seems loader that others I have tied. Nice big body. Sounds good plugged in too.

[​IMG]

12. Having owned a Thunderchief, I have to tell you truthfully that it didn't fare any better than any of the other Fenders, Ovations, Ibanez, Johnson or my current Michael Kelly. EVERY one needed to be plugged in (as you have just concurred)........without fail in order to be heard in the mix under the conditions described. A couple of Martin cannons in the mix and you're buried if you don't plug in.

13. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Well, this is just a matter of frequency and human hearing. Everything is like this. The right side of a piano cuts through the left side. You can be shaking the house apart with a kilowatt of Ampegs and your schmucky guitarist walks all over you with a 50-watt amp. You hear the monkeys before you hear the elephants rumbling to each other...

14. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I had a Dean Performer Acoustic at one point. For acoustic volume, it was fine with a single 6 string guitar and actually sounded pretty nice for ampless solo practice. Anything more then that, it turned into a pumpkin.

15. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Yeah the neck is my biggest worry. I've found the Yamaha to be too big, now my Jaz is too small ('specially at the nut). My stingray is just right. Any idea how the Performer compares? I did just get one of those exotic-wood Performers but I don't have it yet. I'll put more research into the fretless (I assume it will be the same specs as the fretted).
    Not sure about the 32" scale, either.

16. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've got a Dean EABFL I've been thinking about selling it simply because I just don't play it, nothing wrong, I just play my other ones more, it's just collecting dust so to speak.

I got it out tonight and played it a bit, it still sounds really good, and I've just strung it with a new set of TI Acousticore's not very long ago. Really a great string. I've played it in church for special acoustic services a couple times and it always gets rave reviews.

Neck is about like my precision, but not overly big or thick. Sounds really good plugged in, volume wise unplugged, I can play with one guitar pretty well, but add in any other instruments and it's not very loud. People say they can still catch it a bit, but not really strong.

I'd be glad to answer any questions, measure anything etc...

17. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Yeah, same here. I'm not playing the Attitude or my Jazz Fretless. I bought the Yamaha to have a good fretted bass because my old Telecaster can be sloppy. And my Fretless Stingray has taken over my world. But I need to face facts: I'm not busy enough to need any "back up" basses. I never play out, so I'd love to get into new territory with the ABGs.

~Jimm

18. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So if I do decide to sell mine, I'll give you a yell.

19. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    Please do. But as I said, I'm going to buy one very quickly (within 2 weeks here) otherwise my hobby money will get absorbed into my household funds. knowwhatImean?

thanks!
    ~Jimm

20. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    My understanding is that Nut width on new MM is 1-5/8" (41.3 mm). Don't know about old one like mine. Dean Player is the same. Is EAB a Model name?

~Jimm