Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Bass Quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keepmusicevil, Sep 26, 2002.

1. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't have any experience with that bass in particular, but my Edge 5 fretless has been excellent.

3. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    thats a neck through or bolt on?

4. Is this the bass version of the Dimebag signature guitar? I remember seeing an ad featuring the guitar in a swedish magazine quite a long time ago. After all, it's quite strange with a bass named after a guitarist :)

5. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Might be.....it has about $250 in pickups alone, so that is the main reason I am considering buying it. Wicked cool shape too!

6. FingerThePick

FingerThePick

May 24, 2002
    Memphis TN
    My Rhapsody 12ver has given me no problems, not with electrnics or hardware I love the quality and workmanship of it

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Those dun' look like no active EMGs to me.

8. It doesn't even look active. It also looks like it will have some balance problems. I've played a couple of Deans, and I liked them ok, but I personally would stay away from this bass.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The bass dosen't have EMG's. It has stock Dean cheapo's. Personally, I've sold a lot of inexpensive Deans when I worked @ a local Music store & they're very hit & miss, mostly miss.

It's not a DimeBag bass. It's an ML bass. Washburn makes the DimeBag guitar & Washburn pays Dean a licensing fee to use the body shape.

10. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    The link I typed is NOT the bass I'm considering; just a pic. Thanks for noticing the pickups though.

I am not expecting a super high quality instrument, just one that will sound good and look better. I have an Ibanez ATK 300, which I have been having a hard time finding another bass that has the same (or better) tonal qualities. A sweet bass for metal, IMO.

11. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    If I remember correctly, Washburn made the Dimebag guitar. It was a direct rip off of the Dean ML.
    The first ML's were made in the 70's, long before Dimebag even thought of playing guitar

12. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Every time I've tried a Dean bass in the store, there was a problem with it. This is probably because it has always been at Guitar Center and I didn't care for how they were set up. SOmething always rang untrue with the harmonics.

13. I don't own one, but I can tell you a bit. It's a Dean ML Vintage and has cheaper Pickups (model PJ, :confused: brand) than other models (EMG and Bartolini's)!
    In general Deans basses are good quality when considering the price. This bass is not as good as Edge Q4 but it also one of the cheapest models.
    I don't think you would get very disappointed when buying it.
    :D

14. Yes and No.

Yes, it's the same model that Dimebag Darrell used on his early days in Pantera.

No, now he uses a signature Dean ripoff made by Washburn.

EBP

15. Can't imagine that other companies makes rip offs of Deans!

16. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I think their having a hard time keeping this model from being ripped:
    [​IMG]

:shivers:

17. I think at one time (like back in the 70's) Deans gained some popularity. ZZtop, and Lynerd Skynrd played 'em and they kind of gained a cult following. but now, the focus is mostly on budget instruments, with a few higher end models. I think the company almost went under, before the current batch of Korean mades brought them back.

I have several Deans; a Performer acoustic guitar, an Edge 4 fretless, and a MLX7 7-string guitar. the MLX7 is the same shape as the ML bass, and I can tell you the balance is terible. as for the quality and sound, I think for the price the quality is very good. I have played some Deans in the store that had scratchy pots and whatever, so try one before you buy. the acoustic guitar sounds awesome, it's got some booty. the ML sounds fat with the dual humbuckers, but it aint no PRS. the Edge 4 fretless, sounds real good with flatwounds, almost Jazz bassish type tone.