Dean Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by outofthedeep, Jan 16, 2004.

1. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    I was just wondering if anyone else played a Dean bass. I have had mine about 5 months and love it. It is a Dean Q5, and I only payed $421
    for it. The action is great and the neck is fairly fast. I love the EMGhz dual soapbars, and I get a nice sound from the low B.
    Now you must understand that I only consider myself to be just above beginer as a player, and I just spent the last year as an intern, so I made $0 a month. :) The dean, at the time, was a good by for the looks, playability, and electronics. Plus it was in my budget. Anyway, I was thinking of spending around $2000 on my next bass and was also wondering if anyone has a reccomendation for a goor 4 or 5 string fretted in that range. Thanks!
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Deans are good begginer/intermediate basses. If youlooked around dould ahve gotten taht q5 for about $100 less though ;).

Anyway, I suggest a Spector ( as always) The low-end spectors are made int eh same plant as the Dean q5 adn are similar in sound and quality actually.. but what you want is more like the Czech models. I absolutely love my Czech 5string, but it definately must be played before bought. It's a fairly unique bass in feel and sound, but very high quality. You can get one for $980-$1500, depending on if you go new or used. A few other nice basses in the $1k-2k range are the Warwick Dolphin, Fortress (out of production), and corvette. the corvette is great for teh money, but the body is an aquired taste... Warwicks have the exact opposite sound of spector for the most part. You might also want to consider a Musicman Stringray, or a Lakland Skyline.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Make sure you also play the Warwicks. I gas'd for them for so long and when I finally played one, it felt and sounded horrible! Mind, that's in my opinion and there are thousands more people that are more experienced and, well, a lot more famous, than myself that swear by them. Just make sure you play it!

Also, another bass to try is the G&L. It's Leo Fender's last designs and they're really incredible instruments. I don't know how much one from the custom section would cost, but they have a lot of great choices. Fantastic instruments, and very well made!
  4. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I agree about ensuring that you try out whatever you buy. I really wanted a warwick and recently played an FNA which wasnt for me at all. I then went to another store played a fortress and fell in love with it. A lot of this could be in the setup I guess.
  5. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas

I have been looking at the spectors, and need to find a dealer in my area to play one. Whatever I buy I will definately play beforehand. As for the $100 dollars less for the Q5, the $421 was,at the time, about $100 less than anywhere else already, even for online dealers, so if you have a factory connection..... :) I am sure that they have gone down by now though. Anyway, I was looking at Warrior, Ken Smith, and Tobias, along with the Spector.... thanks for the input
  6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    if you are willing to pay 2000 for a bass I doubt that the input will be that important. you really really have to do it yourself. for naming some brands apart from mentioned:
    laurus (might be hard to get your hands on one though. european)
    but if you are not fixed on the 2000 maybe you can also check lakland skylines, peavey cirruses or G&L's. Not that I played them all... but as I've said. YOU have to play them before deciding.