Dean Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shafticus, May 8, 2001.

1. shafticus

Apr 12, 2000
    Im just curious as to any peoples opinion on the Dean Edge Q5. i have played it and personally love it(and will buy it soon), i was just wondering if there are any downfalls to it.
    Thanx people.
  2. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    there have been several threads on Dean basses -- perhaps you could try a search?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dean's are pretty good basses for the price.

The only things that I don't like about them is that IME the B string on the 5's and 6's is a little weak and hollow compared to the other strings, but that is pretty normal in this price range.

The other thing is that I like wide string spacing, which the Deans do not have.

But, as I said, good bass for the amount of $$$ you spend.
  4. shafticus

Apr 12, 2000
    I would get a luthier,but i dont have that much money. I also noticed that the B string is a little weak, but then again I hardly have any experience in the 5 or 6 string basses. I personally like the string spacing, but i wouldnt mind one thats a little farther apart. Just means i have to practice on it more!!! Thanx for all your help btw
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I had one and returned it the next day. No bloody bottom. It was pretty noisy too, I don't know if they screwed up the shielding.
  6. There's no bottom WITH THE STOCK STRINGS, which are GHS 40-55-75-95-120. You need a 105 E and 125 B at least to get good bass definition out of the Dean fivers.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

look for quality differences among the basses, I've played some Dean Edges that hand some pretty bad fret jobs on them: very sharp edges, uneven frets, and the wenge or similair wood that striped down the neck was very uneven.

Its similiar to the quality that varies with MIM Fenders.

I liked the tone on the ones that didnt have quality problems.
    But I never played the 5'rs