Dean Basses: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Aug 4, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm really on a budget, but i want a decent bass with a little growl in its tone. The owner of the local music store suggested a Dean Edge 5, which would set me back only about $400, assuming there's no additional charge for a lefty.
    Is this bass even worth messing with? If not, do you have any other suggestions for something left-handed and below or around the 600 dollar range?
  2. I got a growl that I kinda liked out of a Spector NS 2000 Q5 while I was at Gelb on Thursday, and they're charging $495 for the thing. :D
    Of course, I can also get a decent growl that I like out of my Ibanez SR 405, but I dunno how much those things go for here in the US, but I got it for HK$3,100, which is about US$399 or so. :)
  3. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Neither of those are left-handed, though, are they?
  4. Uuh...
    You know, I don't really know...
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Dean Edge is a decent bass for the money.

The things that I don't like about Dean 5 and 6 stringers is the fact that the string spacing is very narrow and the B string is kind of floppy.

But you could definitely do worse in that price range.

You might check out , get the number off of the website and see if the MTD Kingston 5 comes in left handed.

It is a much better bass, for about the same $$$. Better than a lot of $1000 5 strings.
  6. I have an Edge Custom 5 (nicer Czech-made version) and I agree with most of what Embellisher says. The tight string spacing is fabulous if you have small hands, but the small neck makes larger hands (such as mine) cramp up. Also, the B string is weak, and you need to find a string brand with an uncommonly good B (Pedulla or DR, for example) to get any decent response out of it. I'd imagine that since the Korean-made versions have rosewood fretboards, instead of wenge, that the B would be even floppier, as tightness of the low B depends largely upon neck stiffness and not scale length. For that reason, I would not recommend the Edge 5 or Q5.

Keep in mind that the Kingston 5 has a big, fat neck with full Fender string spacing. It may not be for you; play it before you drop the money. It does have an incredible B, though. $500 or less gets you a bass that could beat the pants off of many basses costing twice as much. If you want a bass with a more traditional "growl," look at an MTD Beast 5--it's been discontinued recently and you may be able to pick one up for $400.
  7. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My Warwick was in the shop so I rented a Dean Edge 4 to take on the family vacation. Good tone. Light weight. Nice lean shape. Decent hardware. Smooth action.