Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smpbass, Feb 20, 2001.

1. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I need some advice. I saw a Dean Edge Q5 and it looks and sounds great. I don't know much about Deans and was wondering if someone could educate me.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Dean Guitars was originally a US company founded in the late 70s by a guy named Dean Zelinsky. He made some very nice Gibson-inspired guitars and basses but went bankrupt during the 1980s.

Current Deans are made in Korea and sold by an importer who bought rights to the Dean name. They are OK basses, much like most other modern low cost imports. I'd avoid paying for ANY cosmetic upgrades like gold hardware, quilt tops, etc. as they don't make the bass sound any better.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I think that Dean makes very decent low end basses. I used to own one myself and I thought that it had a great sound, although the pups were a little weak. Deans are no different than any other economy instrument (No insult intended) in that you need to check them out closely at the time of purchase. The one that I bought was damn near perfect.

BTW, Brianrost's advice about the add-ons is well advised in my opinion.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Deans are good values for the money, and some of the more expensive models have the real active EMGs instead of the HZs, that is an upgrade worth going for.

I agree that on an instrument of this quality, cosmetic upgrades are not really worth the price, get the most sound for you dollar, not the prettiest bass.

The only real gripe that I have with Deans is that on the 5's and 6's the string spacing is very narrow, and the B strings are pretty floppy for a 35" scale bass.

6. I have the Czech-made bolt-on Dean 5 (not all Deans are made in Korea), and I must say that's a pretty damn good bass for $630 with case and tax. Admittedly, it has its flaws--the tuners aren't Schaller or Hipshot quality, and the B string is kinda mushy--but in every other regard, it's pretty much the best fiver you're gonna find that lists for under $1000, and I've played nearly all of them. The workmanship is excellent (comes from the same factory that produces MTD Grendels and Czech Spectors), the EMG-HZ pickups aren't all that bad (although I'm thinking long and hard about replacing mine with some "darker" Bartolini M4 soapbars), and the neck is just disgustingly stable. I was thinking of defretting mine when I got another bass, but that's so far off that I'll just enjoy it as is for now...

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    There is a Dean Q5 at my local music store (THAT is a rare thing...anything besides a Fender or Squier is a real treat for us:D), and I really liked it. Embell. said the B was a bit floppy, but on the bass I played it was mediocre. Not as good as my MIM Fender (bet nobody 'spected that, didya?), but definitely decent. The one I played had EMG's, just like Embell said, and the only complaint I had with it was that the pots needed to be cleaned as every time you touched the tone knob a TERRIBLE scratching sound came from it. That is something that the dealer should fix, but doesn't. So, all in all, I considered it a good bass for the price, and would most likely buy it if I had the money (just like I would buy a Carvin and a 'Ray and a......:D)

8. I must disagree with all this floppy B string talk. Especially in comparison to a MIM Fender. I own a Dean Edge 6 string and I think the B is great for the price range, of course most of the "boutique basses" beat it but hey I couldn't get a boutique bass for $400 now could I ?

That being said I also own a MIM Fender Jazz 5 and the B string on it SUCKS. It has no note definition and basically sounds like I'm throwing mashed potatos against the wall. It's disgusting.

In general I think the Dean Edge series is well worth the money.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Go read my post over in the "Best basses for under $600." That'll sum up what you say about my MIM Fender suckin.

10. I'm glad the MIM J works for you. And of course we can all only talk from personal experience, and Basses are a very subjective thing.

I never said all MIM J's suck, and in fact I would recomend the 4 string version as a great $250 bass...however based on the two basses I own (Dean Edge 6 and MIM Fender J 5) I could never recomend the 5 string. The B on the Fender is very floppy and undefined, I do love the feel of the bass however. I know that in a 5 I value a very tight defined B string (my favorite bass being a Modulus Quantum 5) therefor the Fender just dosen't cut it in my book. However if you love yours play your heart out, it's all about preference and opinions and I was just giving mine.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i do believe dean's are made right here clear water florida, i know there is dean right on feather sound dr, in clearwater, ive drivin by it many times. I also heard that thoroughbred music bought the rights to the dean name (or something like that) and also made them. But i do know Dean is in Clearwater Florida, so i dont think they are all imports from Korea anymore.

But i still wouldnt buy one. Neck radius is too flat, and i dont like the way they sound or even look.

12. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I think the Dean is the best you can get for the money.

13. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    yeah I know. I live in Clearwater.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My opinion is that the Edge is better than a MIM Jazz. A Edge Q is better then the MIM Deluxe. I mean better in soung, feel & look. Why get a solid color in a MIM when you could buy a transparent color in an Edge & the Q series have awesome quilt tops!!!! I still think that everyone has been "Fender brain-washed" for far too long!!!