Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Apr 7, 2001.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Guys,

I was wondering what everyones opinions are about Dean basses. I have heard mostly good things, but couldn't find a thread that gave to much information about them. I was planning on getting a cheap used Dean 4 string from eBay.

I am looking to spend about $250 (this is going to be a secondary bass used for slapping and my lessons). I have a SR 405 right now so you can see why I want a four string. I was also looking at a Wasburn XB400 that I found for cheap.

Any advice is appreciated. I really have to go on your word because I live in a musically neglected area and there are very few basses to play and no Dean's. Thanks for any help.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like the Dean Edge-4 better than the SR-405 but I think the XB-400 is alittle better sounding & playing than the Dean.
  3. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    I also think that the Dean Edge 4 is a good buy for the money. Most of the examples that I have seen are pretty well made.

However, you can always find a rotten apple in any production instrument ... do your best in finding a seller that is honest.
  4. I personally do not like Deans. That's mostly because I have a really heavy touch with my right hand and I don't slap much. They sound good, and a lot of people like them, but I don't. That's just my opinion.
  5. I have a Dean Edge 6 which is my main bass. I like it quite a bit. I think it beats both the SR 405 and the Washburn XB400 in sound and playability, but that's just my opinion.

I certainly don't think you could go wrong with the Dean. But keep in mind that to me slapping is a big no-no. So I have no idea how well it sounds for that.
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I picked up a nearly-new sunburst Dean Rhapsody HB (semi-hollow single pickup) on eBay about a month ago, for cheap because I was smitten by its looks -- and I've been pleasantly surprised by its playability and sound. Sort of p-bass with a bit more clarity on top. Nice and light, slim neck... all in all, more than I ever expected from a Dean. I see that they've opened a US factory, so they are apparently going to go for the gusto and are widening their product line. If the Rhapsody I got is representative of what their Korean factory is churning out these days, it ain't bad. I've had it out on two gigs (classic rock) so far and it's doing the job - and I have several other basses from which to choose.
  7. The Dean Edge Improv is likely out of your price range but for about $750, they will compete with basses that sell for $2000. No kidding.They are built in the same facility as the CR Spector and Grendal MTD. They feature real active EMG CS humbucking pickups, EMG active preamp, neck through Alder body with thick flame maple top, Solid gold plated brass bridge, wenge fingerboard, dual trussrods, Schaller tuners
    and high quality workmanship. This may be perhaps the best bass under $1000.
  8. The Edge Custom is a bit more reasonably priced (~$400 for a 4-string) and not as "boutique" (bolt-on neck, EMG-HZ passive pickups), but it's an excellent bass for the price. I encourage you to take a look at it.
  9. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    I have a Dean Edge 4LH and I love it. It's now my main axe and I've never had a problem with it. I played it immediately when I saw it in the store (as I do with all lefties I find) and I was so blown away with it that I came back the next day and bought it. It's got passive EMG-HZ's, which sound great. My favorite thing is the neck though. It's slim and fast, unlike the Sound Gears. It's the fastest bass
    I've ever played on. The range of sound is pretty good too. I've played everything from Regae to Punk on it and it's always delivered. A lot of people say that it's really hard to slap on a Dean Edge... but I've found that it just takes getting used to. And it's got crystal clear sound all throughout the registers. I can play chords with the E string (tuned down to a D) and it doesn't get muddy. It's a great bass for the money. WAY worth it.
  10. Hell, I've played every Dean going, from the ground up, and they are all cool. I've even settled on my next bass: it's gonna be a Dean Edge Q4 in Amberburst, or a Dean Rhapsody Q4 in amberburst. The Q models have active preamps in, so they're worth the extra $100 or so. Plus you get quilted finish!

Here's a picture of the Rhapsody I want