Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 28, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    has anyone played a Dean bass? If so, whats the quility like?

2. I had a dean acoustic bass guitar once and it was well-built. I have played a few electrics but never spent any time with them to give a fair opinion. I would think they would be above-average quality. They are made in big Korean factories like most others in the 700 and under price range. Check harmony central too..

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    My first Bass Was an Edge 4. Which i still have, but have turned it into a fretless. I like them and I plan on getting a Dean Edge 6 one of these days.
    Im still kicking my self because I could of had a Dean 5 string for 169.00 used. a few months back. As far as the quility is like It's pretty good.

4. I also have an Edge 4 that I had turned into a fretless. It's an awesome bass! I also have a Rhapsody 4 with the bubinga top. It's a killer bass, I have it set up tuned C# F# B E. And it's perfectly intonated, and stays in tune.

5. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I have a passive Edge 5 I bought used and I love it. Mine has EMG HZ (came stock)and they sound pretty good though IIRC the newer ones have Dean Designed P'ups until you get to the higher priced ones . I am able to get a good amount of tone variations from it. The only quality issue I had with it was a bad input jack, but that was an easy fix.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Deans quite a good bass for the money.

7. I played a Dean Semi-Hollow bass at a local music store and was very impressed by it. Nice sound plugged in and unplugged, and surprising louder than my acoustic bass somehow.

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    im selling my Dean edge 5 right now for $250 US right now, comes with hardshell case. the store that inlayed straplocks on it did a hella bad job. they still work and dont come loose. but other than that the bass is like the best 5 string i've played.

9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I've read a lot of good things about Dean basses. I plan on getting a Edge 4 fretless.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I had an Edge 5'er..... really good bass for the money. I liked it because the width was pretty narrow like a Jazz. I do remember it being a bit heavy. Only reason I got rid of it was the fact that I'm not into 5 strings. I would play an Edge 4 without question.

11. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I use a Dean Edge 4 and couldn't be happier with it.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless that's very nice. That's what I'm playing in my avatar BTW. I'm in the process of selling it to my nephew who is interested. I would buy Dean again and recommend their products. Great bang for the buck.

13. capon

capon

Nov 27, 2004
    Deans hav good necks, and are well priced go for it!!! :bassist:

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was looking at the Stylist hollow body bass :D

15. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    My 4 string Edge quilt top came with barts and has a rich, pleasing sound. I use it for ballads. I especially like the neck, which is slim amd fast. I've picked up many Deans (basses and guitars) and played them at my local music store, which is a Deal dealer. I am consistently surprised by the quality for the price.

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    My main bass is a Dean B-squared 5- it's the best bass I've ever owned. I have several, and have owned/played several, but the Dean kicks major butt! I dropped a set of Bart 57J-1's in it, and it is stellar! The only problem with it is that I can't play enough gigs right now...lol...
    Quality is great, neck is fabulous, the only change I'd make on a stocker would be to throw a set of Barts in it. I'd play almost any Dean bass without shame. The only ones I don't like are the Edge 09, the real low-endy starter bass, and the Z-bass (hate pointy bass shapes). The Edge series basses are quite good, the Berlin bass is great as well. If you have a chance to play one of the Brian Bromberg B-Squared basses (either 4 or 5), DO IT!

17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have a Rhapsody 12-string for sale if your're interested? There's pics and more in the 'for sale' section.

18. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I was in my local Bass/Guitar shop yesterday (I recently bought a Fender American Deluxe Jazz QMT) and had a chance to try out a couple of the Deans. I was pretty impressed with them. Fairly well built basses and at pretty decent prices. I am now a fan. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my Ric or the Fender for one, but the next time I'm looking for a decent bass, I might very well consider one.....

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own an Edge Q5 (my first 5'er actually). I liked it, but could really only get one useable tone out of it. I ended up giving it to my stepdad as a father's day present.

20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    has anyone played Deans hollow body bass the Stylist? Are they good basses