Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaMaGe, Inc., Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hi there, I've been playing bass for a little over 4 months now. Atm I own and Ibanez SRX300 -and a SW35 bass amp.

As many of you may be familiar with, I'm having an attack of GAS after looking at all the nice basses that are out there. (I don't have enough money to spend it on whatever I have in mind though) Anyway, the Dean Q5 cought my interest. I read alot of positive reviews about it and Dean instruments in general. Seems like decent bass to me for the price(€ 459,-). Do any of you have experience with their basses and/or this bass in particular? Good or bad?

http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_q4_q5.htm

*The Stingray 5 and a Cirrus 5 seem very nice as well, but since I don't have a very high income It'll probably take me forever to save up enough money for one of those. :p *

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I owned one of those, actually it was my first 5 string. The playability and construction were actually quite good. The 35" scale made for a really tight B string as well. The thing that bugged me about the bass was the pesky EMG-HZ pickups. If you like a warm tone, these are not for you (IMO). They bugged me so much that I literally GAVE THE BASS AWAY. If you're not picky about your tone (or an ultra sterile/cold tone is what you want) then this would be a great bass for you. If you want some warmth out of your tone, you'll be better off looking elsewhere. Good luck!

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I have a Edge 5 passive with HZs and I love it. I like the tone variations I can get from it, and it's build quality is very good for it's price range.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ive been playing a dean q4 model for about 4 years or more, and i LOVE it

better than almost any fender, ibanez, or similar "mid range" basses, tons of tone, great constrction.

only problem ive had is the stock bridges are horrible, i wore down the E saddle so bad that it was more then 1/8th inch lower than the rest. I eventualy replaced it with a Hipshot A style, helped the tone alot, added alot of sustain.
    also, they are VERY light, i owned a 6 string 35" scale and it was great, string spacing was just to tight for me so i sold it.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think they make the Edge Q5 with Barts, if you're looking for a low-buck tone machine, that'd be high on my list...I have a Dean Brian Bromberg 5, I put Barts in it, and it's the BOMB! Hands down my favorite bass ever. Build quality is excellent, the dual preamps are well-voiced, the piezos in the bridge are awesome!

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do a search on Dean here. Short answer: they offer tremendous value for the money. That's an Edge 5 fretless I'm playing in my avatar.

7. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    I own 2 Dean basses and I love 'em. My sound guy loves 'em, too. Tone is subjective. If you don't like the sound of the EMG-HZ p/ups, swap them out. Even with the money spent on new p/ups, it's still a bargain. You really can't beat them for the price.

8. Thanks for sharing your experiences guys, I'll do a search on the forum too. :)

I'm going to the store next week, to try out as many basses as I can. :D

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's the right thing to do, play as many as they'll let you before they kick you out .... something will feel right. Let us know how you make out ....

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was in a local store buying a guitar combo pack for a son when I saw a new ;) Dean EDGE 4-string with barts. This store happens to market Dean's seconds. A tiny spec under the finish dropped this baby down to a 1/4 of retail on Christmas Eve. I think the Grench stole more than Christmas this year!

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If it's who I think it is, that's who I got my B2 from...the headstock was a slightly different shade than the body- big whoop! I got it for a song, and couldn't be more pleased! They shipped it to me quick, as well- I got it the second day, and I that was UPS Ground! They also worked with me on an electronics issue I had.

12. So I just came back from the store, tried 5-strings, 6-strings fretted/fretless and even an 8-string. I think I have a pretty good idea now of what I want.

I'm probably going for the Dean Edge Q6! Unfortunately that was the only 6-string they had except for the Dead Edge 6 Fretless, so didn't have much to compare it with. But it didn't really matter anyway, 'cuz it almost seemed like the bass was made for me :D .

The extra strings where a bit confusing at first but I got used to it very quickly, and didn't even have much trouble with the smaller string spacing. Despite my small hands the neck felt very comfortable, but the neck of the Q6 isn't that wide compared to some other 6'ers I guess. What I also liked about it was that the Bolt-on neck joint was very well done, it didn't give any trouble reaching the 24th fret. Sounded pretty good too, ofcourse it didn't help much that it had dead strings on it. I don't think the tone was that cold like 'smilky smoove' said.

Conclusion; it's a great bass for the price IMO. Perfect for a poor kid like me. After I had been playing on it for a while it already started to feel more comfortable than my current bass. :p I even got some compliments from a guy who said my playing reminded him a bit of Jack Brown, (I'm not familiar with his work though, I'm sure some of you are) and basically gave me the 'thumbs up', sort of speaking. So that was cool. :)

13. The 8 string beast...

[​IMG] :bassist:

I also have a Dean stage acoustic - one of the best guitars I've ever played...

[​IMG]

14. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    I also have a Dean Edge 5 (trans black) I also really like IMHO nice to play and I really like the tone ( Dean pups & active EQ). All in all would I buy another Dean? ....you bet! AAMOF still thinking about getting a fretless Dean sometime in the near future....after I pay for my Schecter C4 :)

15. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan

I have the Q4 with Barts, and the tone is silky smooth. Be sure to check out their website to see if you can get the Q5 with Barts. I think it's www.deanguitars.com

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Geez! I love the Rhapsody. Gorgeous top!

I didn't realize before today that Dean made a 6'er fretless! I've been looking for a cheap, LINED sixer for ages now. How much do these cost, and how are the electronics? (I have no qualms about replacing pickups, should the need arise).