dean basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiggy, Apr 27, 2001.

1. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    i will have the money to buy my first bass next payday. the two i am looking at are the dean edge playmate 09 and the edge 1j 4 string basses any info or comments on these two basses would help a great deal if anyone owns or has played one or both of these please reply
  2. I've heard the j1 is pretty good but I haven't heard about the playmate...You're probably better off spending the extra couple bucks and getting the j1.
  3. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

def. check out the rhapsody, way cool looking. and the vintage series (super cool also).

ive messed around with a rhapsody fretless semi hollow and it's prob. the best deal for the $$$ right now.
  4. I personally don't like Deans. They're not for everybod, so try it out before you buy anything. I would say spend the extra 50 bucks and get the 1j, if for no other reason than it has two pickups, so you can get more sounds out of it. It also looks better. There are also a LOT of replacement parts that you can get to make a cheap Jazz-stlye bass sound better for not a lot of money.
  5. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    thanks for the replys keep them comming and bassman could i not also upgrade a dean to get better sound quality
  6. dabber

Jan 22, 2001
    Deans almost always make me think of Sammy Haggar or Nancy Wilson rockin' out(cringe). That said, the Edge 5 I play is definately worth the cost.
    The action comes set up LOW LOW LOW. I haven't played a fretted Dean but I am constantly amazed at the sound and looks of it. I think the bodies are basswood so if your concerned about dents, handle it carefully. The EMGHZs sound fine to me and have a pretty decent tonal range. The amberburst is a nice low-end finish and (thankfully) the Trans-Am wings on the headstock have been replaced with a classier script logo..
  7. I own a Dean Razor.It has low action,however mine came with some fret buzz and I'll have the store I bought it from adjust it for free.As far as sound goes,this one sounds's punchy and quite articulate for a bass in this price range.The one I have also looks cool(quilted maple,amber finish over an alder body.)There are tell tale signs/cosmetic flaws that show why this particular bass is Korean made.They don't affect the sound or playability.If you do like the Dean bass that you're deciding on,you won't be sorry.For the money,it's a decent deal.
  8. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    thanks guys for the time you took to reply more dean fans or not out there give me some more info. help the wanna be bass player out
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    The Dean Edge Q series(Quilt Top) looks/feels/plays nicely! YOu should look in to those if you are a Dean Fan
  10. I tried out a Rhapsody hollobody fretless the other day knowing that I generally liked Dean basses, and I had heard good things about this particular model.. but WOW!

Lightning fast playability.. and a sound that was somewhere between an upright and vintage motown (that's with rounds on it too).

Looks cool too.

I've never had a bass that low in cost overwhelm me.. if I ever needed a backup fretless.. I would buy that without a second thought.
  11. Dysandean

Dysandean Guest

The Dean Playmate 09 is a bass for begginers. You should just get it if you want a name. The only place I ever found the playmate was at for $119.99. I personaly don't think it is a good bass for my leval of playing. Since you are a begginner, it should be a good bass at a good price.
  12. Save your money and get the best bass that Dean makes by far nowadays, the Dean Edge Improv. For about $750-$800, they compare with basses costing at least twice the price! Tone, feel and workmanship is excellent. Check 'em out at