Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Jun 2, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was looking at Dean basses on the web, mainly because of Jeff Berlin's endorsement, and because they are distributed by a company in the Tampa Bay area. I was wondering if I could get a review or two from the membership.

2. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nc
    well rick i am new to bass playing but my first bass is a dean and when i am ready to move up my next bass i feel will be a dean. nice feel/well made/ good tone/ and imo they look sharp as he@$.

p.s. if you will search a bunch of dean bass threads are already started(a couple by me) they should answer your questions

3. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    What do you want to know? For the money they seem to be some of the best basses out there. In most cases, they are probably head and shoulders above most of the Ibanez, Yamaha, and Epiphone stuff in that price range. They also have a 5 year warranty! My favorites are the Edge 4 and 5, just the basic versions, the maple top is not really worth it. Either the newer ones with the Dean pickups and active electronics or the passive ones with EMG-HZ's are pretty good. They feel and look good, and most people don't believe the price when I tell them (yes, I work at a music store and sell basses, and no I don't work in a chain.) The 5 and 6 strings are 35" scale, which is very good. The Rhapsody basses are very cool, especially the 8 and 12 strings. The shape of those basses rocks, its almost Carl Thompson-ish.

4. korngod_04

korngod_04

Feb 11, 2001
    yes, they are good basses. i own one. I would get another

5. The Dean Edge Improv is a much better buy than the Jeff Berlin signatures. Check out the Dean site at www.deanguitars.com and compare the Edge Improv to the Jeff berlin models.

6. Dean is making some good stuff nowadays. I was quite taken with a Rhapsody hollowbody fretless.

7. I have an Edge Custom 5. It's essentially an Ibanez SR885 on steroids. You could get the features off the website, but the main things are:

35" scale 5-piece bolt-on maple/walnut neck
    Alder body with quilted maple veneer top (1/8", probably)
    EMG-HZ pickups, EMG-3D preamp
    Schaller or ABM bridge (big heavy brass thing), Grover tuners

For $630 with tax and case, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better 5-string bass. The tone is extremely versatile--solo the bridge pickup and you've got the Jaco burp, solo the neck and roll off some bass for a classic Precision tone, etc. The B string isn't anything to write home about, but it's a lot better than any other Bs in the price range (save the MTD K5, which isn't nearly as versatile). The neck is extremely thin and the string spacing is tight, so if you're a big slapper it might not be for you.

Mine came with a defective bridge pickup; a solder joint was missing, so it was acting as a single-coil (an excellent one, FWIW). I found out about this a while ago, but EMG and Dean were giving me and the store from which I bought it a serious runaround. However, on Wednesday, Dean Zelinsky himself is visiting the store, and I figure I'll just drop in and put him on the spot.