1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, Apr 24, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    What do you guys think of Dean Basses?

I bought the Acoustic Performer and love it.

I was thinking of getting a Electric and wonder if you think Dean is just a nice starter bass or more on the professional side of things?

thanks

david

2. BigPigPeaches

BigPigPeaches

Apr 24, 2006
    IMO, it really does depend on what you get. They have some inexpensive basses that are obviously geared towards the beginner, but I've never played them so I can't attest to their quality.
    I do have a Rhapsody 12 and a Hammer 10, and I find them both to be excellent instruments. The Rhapsody is the best bang-for-the-buck 12 (or 8) that's out there...again, IMO. The Hammer 10 has a bit of buzz in some venues, but I think that reshielding that will help.

3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I have a Performer A/E too though I've found that the only way you can truly use it acoustically is if you're playing alone. Otherwise, I've -always- had to amplify it.

YMMV

4. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    i have a brian bromberg signature 4 string and it beats my cirruses. i know it sounds crazy. you can get any sound you want cuz the piezos and its nice having a crap load of knobs. they go for like 650 to 800 dollars. no neck dive either at all since they have a jazz bass like hip on them.

btw yo mark beem this is snowball700 from ebay. i like just sent you a message for your conklin. $3000 final offer!:meh: :meh: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

5. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    PM comin' atcha.. ;)

6. I've got mixed feelings about my Dean Razor.
    I really like the small light weight body, slim neck,
    active electronics, and smooth feel.
    I'm disappointed because i've broken several strings
    at the bridge, and found little grooves where the
    strings have "dug in" to the soft metal that they use
    for the saddles. I left a message about it on the Dean
    board, but nobody has replied and it's been about two months.

For me, the good outweighs the bad. It didn't cost me a ton
    of money, and it's my main bass on the job. It has however
    recently developed some fret buzz, and it's at the shop as we
    speak getting intonated and adjusted. I'm hoping it comes back
    ready to go, and more playable than ever. I've owned it for
    about three years or so now.

Somebody had one for sale exactly like mine here on TB about
    a few weeks ago.
    Here's a link:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239893&highlight=Dean+Razor
    I don't know if it's still available.

7. I play a dean edge (4 string). It's low cost, but good looking, reliable, and easy to adjust the truss rod. It's got a nice slim neck, and holds a tuning perfectly. The Soapbar pickups are incredible sensitive with a nice round sound.
    I practice daily, rehearse weekly, and gig about 10 hours worth of actual play time a month, and have never had a single problem with it. It even handles the temperature shock of Kansas weather fairly well.
    I really think it's a great beginner bass. I am saving for an Ibanez SR900 because I love the sound and feel of the active electronics on the bartolini pickups, and the neck through design is gorgeous. But the playability that first drew me to the Ibanez was that it closely resembles the comfortable good looks of the Dean.
    For what it's worth, very underrated as an inexpensive bass.
    colin

8. markman

markman

Dec 19, 2003
    ILL.
    Esquillama, that's my Razor in the for sale forum. I've never had any string breakage problem with the bridge. I'm like you, I like the light weight of the bass. I actually like them as well as any 34" scale I've played, but I just like playing short scales more.

9. I want to try out the Sledgehammers for obvious reasons(they are thumb inspired IMO).

Thumb body would feel comfortable, and maybe I could replace the MM-style pickup with a Basslines or Bartolini.

They have a swamp ash version that looks really good.

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've got the neck-thru version (Razor NT). It's a very nice bass for the money. Quilted maple top, 3 band eq, gold hardware...

I don't play it much anymore tho' ever since I got a Zon!

11. I myself have had a Dean Performer Plus 4-string since last summer, and I really like it! Good feel, beautiful black finish, white binding, and abalone inlays. Um, the thing is....it doesn't work plugged in :confused: :meh: .

I just enjoy playing it unplugged though. I like the short scale, and it's plenty loud on its own. Not bad for the $275 I paid for it.

12. My favorite of Dean's basses is their Jeff Berlin model. They have models at different price points. It's got a sleek neck, Bartolini humbuckers, and a Badass bridge. It's got a great fingerstyle tone and is a great value.

13. i really want to try out some of their basses; the ML shape, the Z (explorer) shape and the Razorback. they look good, but i'm rather wary about basswood bodies.

i have tried an 8 string by them, it looked like the edge, but i'm on their site right now and it looks like they don't have that model...:meh: i really enjoyed it, the first eight stringer i played and it was quite a good expierience. felt pretty solid.

if you can, try and get out and try some of the Deans your interested, and other basses in your price range.

good luck!:bassist:

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Both. Deans are great. I loved mine but wanted another string so sold it off.

15. You want to try the Setup forum here. :)

But you should be able to file the burrs out of your saddle. If you're not sure how, ask your tech to take care of it, should cost you less than a new pack of strings.

16. I've had it in to my local tech a couple of times to have the burrs
    filed out. He told me he can only do that "so many" times.
    I'm just thinking it might be easier to replace the bridge, and not
    have to worry about the soft metal of the original.

17. Ah right, fair play.

18. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    i can agree on the bromberg. i have never heard a bass that has that much range on 4 strings. i just wish i had more time to play it... they put it up in GC when they were closing... & we helped close the store :D

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My bromberg (with DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups) is for sale. It's a great bass, I just want a different flavor (and another string).

20. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I like the Bromberg model, a friend of mine has one and it REALLY kicks a**. the string spacing is a little tight for my tastes though, I've tried the sledge hammer and that just did'nt do it for me. The edge hammer was a beast!!1 great sound and wide spacing, a mohogany body with a satin finish too, i'ts got a great slap sound and the neck feels comfortable.