Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Jan 30, 2003.

1. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I recently bought a 6-string bass just to play around with. I did not want to spend a lot of money on it since it would not be used that much. I ended up gettig a Dean Edge Q 6. For under $550, this is great bass. It came stock with EMG-HZ pickups and pre-amp, it has a 5-piece bolt-on neck (Maple and Walnut) with twin truss rods (yep, I said two). The finish is beautiful (as you can see) and the sound and playablity is much better then I thought it would be for that price. I also must say the balance is perfect for a 6-string. My main basses are a Alembic Distillate and 2 Carvin B5's. But this Dean has made me a believer in their instruments! So are there any other Dean players out there and what are your comments?

2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    wow... thats one lovely quilt you got there.

I have a Dean Edge 6 and yes you are right, they are some great instruments for the $

Rock on

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I bought a czech neck thru edge 4 improv last year that i love! really seems to be a nice bass--paid $700--i,ve seen the improv series new on ebay for less--i would highly recommend that model.
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I tried out a Dean 5 string just last Saturday.
    Nice bass, Nice neck but...... I thought those EMG's were just plain HORRIBLE...
    No matter what I did eq wise there just didn't seem to be much bottom end to the sound ... way too "toppy" for my taste.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA

I love mine. Great balance, great tone, great playability, great look, great price!

I personally prefer the older passive model to the new active ones. The Czech models are the real special ones, but my Korean one is darn nice. I recommend them every time I get the chance. They have a message board on their site.

I also have some higher dollar instruments, A Fender V Jazz V, the custom Jazz in my avatar, and the Dean is right there with them in quality and sound.

That quilt is goregeous. You should post that pic on the "Show your Quilt/Flame" thread.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yea.. what he said! :D

Philbiker: I always see that Dean Edge Fretless... it must be lovely man.. post some clips!!

7. My main axe is a Dean Jeff Berlin Signature...great bass. Don't have a pic but Jeff Berlin's website has him holding it.
    I haven't tried the other Dean's, but after seeing that fretless I may just buy another one.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well I personally believe that clips of solo bass are not indicative of how a bass sounds in an ensemble situation. I also believe that the only useful judgement of how a bass sounds can be had by listening to a bass in the context of a song.

My brother Andrew Hamm's MP3.COM site has songs featuring me playing that Dean. The songs Strange Education and Calling Me Back feature me playing that Dean 5 fretless.

Warning. I had only been playing the fretless for a few months at the time. My intonation may not be as good as you´d like to hear.:oops: (Andrew would say that it´s fine)

BTW one of those clips is my contribution to SMASHes Talkbass Station featured in my (and other talkbassers´) signature.
  9. I have an Edge Q-5 in trans-red that plays and looks beautiful. However, my new favorite, and new main axe is the Dean Razor NT. Trans-Amberbust Quilt, neck through, Active Electronics. This bass has great tone, feel, and looks. I would highly recommend.
  10. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I have a Dean Edge 1, that was my first bass, couple years later, still my mine axe :D . I love it, I like the neck, pickups, body, etc. Say just wondering, do Warwicks play anything like a Dean????
  11. They're not even remotely similar. Deans have a thin, fast neck and Warwicks have a tree branch.
  12. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have a Dean Rhapsody 8 with bubinga top that sounds pretty darn HUGE! I bought the Dean because I was looking for a cheap 8 string and I wound up with a high quality instrument to boot. I love the EMG hz's and the three band eq, clean and clear. So for something that I bought to use here and there, I find myself playing it alot...just for fun!:)
  13. I've got a Dean Edge Q6 that I'm very happy with. The quilt top isn't nearly as striking as Alembic5's though (by far!). Shame to say that these basses go for the same in £'s as you got it in $'s. Still excellent value for a six, and I find they play very nicely. Good, clear harmonics. Fairly narrow string spacing, but very playable.

Nice. :)
  14. I got an Edge 4 (the old passive kind) that I turned into a fretless. it's an awesome instrument. I also have a MLX7 guitar, and I bought my wife a Performer acoustic.

I really like the Rhapsody 8 string. Bubinga body, maple/walnut 5 piece neck, brass nut, and Grover tuners. That's awesome!

the Razor NT's are pretty darn killer too!