Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by einarkm, Dec 27, 2000.

1. has anyone had a Dean bass? If so, are they good...worth buying and so on...I was thinking about getting my self a Dean bass but since they are not available here in Iceland I can´t compare them with those who exizt here, like Warwick, Zon, Yamaha and so on....

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A few years ago I picked up a Dean bass new for 200 bucks. I'm pretty sure they don't make that model anymore. It didn't have EMG pickups like I believe all their others did at the time. For the price I thought the bass was pretty amazing. It seemed solidly built, had great action, and was just really comfortable and fun to play. When I used it on a gig, the tone didn't cut too well though - I really think that had a lot to do with the pickups. I'm used to using a Warwick and a Musicaman - so that's what my sound comparison is based on. I sold it for the same price I bought it for and I sometimes now regret it. I used to pick that bass up more than my others when I was playing by myself in the house.

That ain't much, but it's sumpthin.

3. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Personal preference here...

I've tested out a few Dean basses in the store. They are definetly solid instruments. However, I do not like the back of the neck on them at all. It is too rounded for me, I prefer a more flat back of the the neck. For me I'm sure it would just take some getting used to, but I just prefer other kinds of basses over Dean because of this.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Deans are well built, nice looking, solid instruments.

The things that I don't like about them are first on the 5 and 6 stringers, the string spacing is too narrow, and second the EMG HZ pickups they come with are not very good.

Now if you don't like the string spacing, nothing can be done about that.

But if you like it, you can always upgrade the pickups and/or electronics down the road.

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Embellisher's point about the string spacing on the fives and sixes is right on. I had a five for a year, and while it was a great instrument for the money ($325 new), it may not cut it as a serious gig bass. I think they're a great value, very playable and sound pretty good.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    From what i've heard the 5 & 6 string Deans use a string spacing thats just alittle bit narrower than a Jazz. Find one that strikes you & have the money go for it. I tried a Dean 6 that i liked alot but then the ashbory came along & my style of music & needs changed so i got the ashbory. thats all

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 string fretless from a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. I love it more every time I play it. It's my first fretless. The string spacing is narrow, yes, but compared to my old Peavey Dyna-Bass it's wide ;)! The neck is wonderful IMO, and the pickups sound fine to me.