1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Bromberg Signature 5 Question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by perfektspace6, Sep 1, 2008.

1. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Anyone know if Dean ever did this model with soapbar pickups and a natural finish over the flame top? Bought one on Ebay with these features. As far as I could tell everything checked out in terms of serial number, inlay, hardware, and general ascetics.

I was under the impression they all had jazz pickups and either came in amber(orange), black, or teal.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I saw that one when it came up. I can't answer your question, but good snag!

6304_1.

Marshall

3. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Wow, would love to see pictures. They were advertising a USA model, but from what I heard, it got cancelled. Sounds like maybe you got one of those?

Edit - Ok, just saw the picture, beautiful. I think that is indeed one of the very rare USA models. You lucky dog!

4. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I thought about that but I'm skeptical. I got it on a buy it now for a good price so I would be shocked and elated if that ended up being the case. Although, the seller listed it as being Korean made and wasn't sure what the pickups were. Almost look like Cirrus pickups to me. Maybe some sort of prototype?

I will have to call Dean tomorrow and see if they can give me some more info

5. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland

6. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Can we ask how much, just so we can hate you more? :D

Might shoot the guys at BassNW (www.bassnw.com) a line, they were Dean dealers when those were out, I was thisclose to buying one (the Korean version). Sweet basses.

7. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    You might hate me :smug:. It was 349.99. Which actually made me a little hesitant. Even if it's Korean I have never seen one for that price and couldn't resist.

Thanks for the heads up on BNW. That's a good idea.

8. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Here is a link to a close up of the pickups and the flame. If the pickups were after market they did a great job.

Add Http,Copy and paste:

://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2284cc7.jpg

9. I almost clicked the buy it now on that one too. I think those might be after market because the seller said that the piezo didn't work, but I've also seen another Bromberg with those pickups. Good catch.

10. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina

:eek:

If that's really what it is, yeah, I'm gonna have to hunt you down. lol

Dean's own site used to have a picture of the USA model on it, but can't find it now. The strip down the middle looked just like that though, can't remember if it was soapbars or J's. Trying to track it down.

11. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks! I have been wanted on for a long time and couldn't resist the soapbars.

I think you are right about it being aftermarket. Pretty sure the others were 18v. I would like to know what those pickups are though. Seller said he removed the neck p/u but wasn't able to determine what it was. The peizo's should be functional based on what he told me.

From the seller: "On the fishman board under the back plate there is a jumper to use the piezo bridge. It needs 3 batteries, 2 under the back plate and 1 in the quick change slot. I don't know if thats stock or if its been modified, but my guess would be it was modified by the last owner."

12. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Don't kill me!

Check out Brians website and look at the amber four. Same stringers. Same chrome pickup selector. Very similar with the exception of the pickups being jazz style. Hey who knows? But really, given that the seller explicitly listed it as being Korean I am doubtful.

http://www.brianbromberg.net/basses/index.html

Added: Here is a full length link to a pic (not great quality) of the bass. It does look pretty identical to the amber 4 stringer on Brian's site.

http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2275sg1.jpg