Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Cabbie Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Has anyone seen these yet?

http://www.deanguitars.com/stylist_bass_cabbie.htm

Just went to my local music store and almost got some gas on price and looks alone. I only checked it out quickly so I don't want to unduly badmouth it, but first impression says it looks way bettter than it sounds. Doesn't have a strap peg on the upper body either which is weird - you have to put the strap around the top of the neck like an acoustic guitar if you want to play it standing. I'll say no more as I only checked it out on a crappy amp for 5 minutes. I'm repeating myself. I'm repeating myself.

What cha all think????

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    bump for more info...
    anyone played one of these?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but I have to admit the yellow-and-checkerboard one appeals to my hammy stage appearance tendencies.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I'm having a vision ... it's Joe Nerve in a suit and tie with a yellow cabbie hollowbody.

It is, suprisingly, suave.

I say do it. I like it, for sure.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah I played on at last Summer's NAMM and played one last weekend in Melbourne, FL. eh... it's ok. I'm just not into shorter than 34 inch scale basses. I wish the pick up selector was switched out with a blend control.

About a year ago I saw a country bassist in Nashville rock one of those Dean Stylists that was in seafoam green. He was getting a really killer pick tone...

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This thread is over a year old. That's when I just started falling in Bongo love. Haven't thought of a Cabbie since. And Bongomania, sorry, but you've got the mania thing all wrong.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs