1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Cabbie Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Has anyone seen these yet?

http://www.deanguitars.com/stylist_bass_cabbie.htm

Just went to my local music store and almost got some gas on price and looks alone. I only checked it out quickly so I don't want to unduly badmouth it, but first impression says it looks way bettter than it sounds. Doesn't have a strap peg on the upper body either which is weird - you have to put the strap around the top of the neck like an acoustic guitar if you want to play it standing. I'll say no more as I only checked it out on a crappy amp for 5 minutes. I'm repeating myself. I'm repeating myself.

What cha all think????

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    bump for more info...
    anyone played one of these?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet, but I have to admit the yellow-and-checkerboard one appeals to my hammy stage appearance tendencies.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I'm having a vision ... it's Joe Nerve in a suit and tie with a yellow cabbie hollowbody.

It is, suprisingly, suave.

I say do it. I like it, for sure.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah I played on at last Summer's NAMM and played one last weekend in Melbourne, FL. eh... it's ok. I'm just not into shorter than 34 inch scale basses. I wish the pick up selector was switched out with a blend control.

About a year ago I saw a country bassist in Nashville rock one of those Dean Stylists that was in seafoam green. He was getting a really killer pick tone...

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    This thread is over a year old. That's when I just started falling in Bongo love. Haven't thought of a Cabbie since. And Bongomania, sorry, but you've got the mania thing all wrong.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs