Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Customer Service

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 11, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, now is a good time to vent my anger. After owning my Dean Edge Q4 for a little less than a year I began to experience a problem. I thought it was my amp at first but it turned out to be the bass. I took to the music store and after an examination by the guy in the store, he said it was the input jack and changed it out for free. Well, I appreciated his gesture and played it in the store and it sounded fine, but then it began to go through batteries like crazy. After this I took it to the shop where I bought, which was out of town and he said it was going through batteries because the jack was touching the pot. Well, it never did that before so I knew it was either bad installation or the jack was too long or something. Well, the problem has yet to be fixed after at least a month of it being out of service. I've emailed the company and they said they would send me a new jack. Has it arrived? Nope, then I was so tired of playing my Epiphone Accubass Jr. that I just decided it was worth the cost of batteries to have a decent bass, but my battery connection thing that you put the battery on came off, so I can't even play it all. I even emailed them to find out about their shipping rates to send it back to let them fix it, but I've yet to receive a reply from them. I called them today and left a message and I haven't heard from them yet. I'm tired and frustrated and I have a gig this Friday night but not a decent bass. I really need a good sounding and feeling passive axe for a backup, but I don't have enough money for a new rig and a new bass. I found a MIM std P Bass at the music store today that I really liked the sound and feel, and this is with stock pickups which I would eventually change. Is a reliable backup bass more important at this time than a new rig? With a couple of weeks I'll probably have enough to get the MIM P, but if I don't then I can get the head for my new rig by the middle of August. I need some opinions on this because as much as I want a new rig w/ more power I need to have a decent bass that doesn't have the hassle of active electronics.

Dirk

2. cb_sk8er

cb_sk8er Guest

May 18, 2001
    Joice, IA.
    hey, I think that it is just that your guitar was ****ed up in the first place, i know a few bassists who play dean q-4's like mine, and we dont have any problems, you should just take it back, I mean, they have a 5 year warantee. Deans kick ass.

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    How could have been f*cked up in the beginning if it was good for about 9 months, I have no problems with them bass, I love the sound and playability, it's just the customer service I have a problem with. I guess you're lucky if haven't any problems, so just hope you don't. It's also inconvenient because there are no Dean dealers in my town and I bought it out of town.

4. cb_sk8er

cb_sk8er Guest

May 18, 2001
    Joice, IA.
    yah, I see what you mean, they really hate to have **** taken back, lol
    well, I guess that there is one only explanation for this. **** happens

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    It could be the jack touching the pot, or the tip and sleeve connections were reversed (which would make the circuit active all the time, and a wiring error that isn't hard to make) when the guy "fixed" it. Take it to another music store with a tech with a good rep and a decent stock of parts.

6. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    IF the problem is nothing more than the jack touching the pot or the wires reversed, could you not just save yourself some time and fix it yourself? I mean, if the jack is touching something, rotate it or bend it a little. Unsolder those 2 wires and put 'em back on the other way. Same thing with the broken battery connector; just go to Radio Shack, buy a new one, and solder it in. (A 5-pack of battery connectors is less than $2.00) It's only 2 solder points! It's a whole lot quicker than driving all over the place looking for a "qualified tech" to do these extremely difficult repairs, and if it doesn't work afterwards you can always put it back how it was. You could have your bass back TODAY with only 10 minutes worth of effort on your part.

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well guys, I heard from Dean today and I'm just going to send it back to them for the repairs. Hopefully they will be able to do it right since I have minimal knowledge in the field of repairs, I wouldn't be able to do it. So all I'll be out is the shipping to get the bass to Clearwater, FL. I've also decided to purchase the MIM P Bass I found at the music store, sell my current backup bass and wait on the rig. I should be getting it Friday in time for my gig Friday night. I'm getting the sunburst finish which is a little more expensive, but it looks cooler.

Dirk

8. cb_sk8er

cb_sk8er Guest

May 18, 2001
    Joice, IA.
    all right man!, you r gonna love that sunburst finish, It really rocks!

9. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Dude can you change the picture? We've all seen your Dean.