Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Demonator

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fangry, May 3, 2002.

1. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi,
    I've been looking at the Dean Demonator and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on it.

The reason I'm asking is cos it's a wicked looking axe (T-bird copy with better balance) and has all the features I like (neck thru construction, active electronics, nice inlays) in spite of the boring finish. Don't care bout the Genitorturers affiliation, but I like the looks (and even the feel, I've tried one in a store, but it was set up really badly). I'm just curious about its price with the aforementioned features plus mahogany body/neck and ebony fingerboard. I know it's made in the far east but still, there's gotta be something wrong for it to be as cheap as it is?

So please, anyone, talk to me :)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never seen one in person. How much is it?

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Don´t get me wrong:

That´s one of the ugliest basses I´ve ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Looks like a Gibson Thunderbird after a terrorist atack........

4. Dean makes some awesome stuff, I have 3 Deans in my house now. but, I'd be cautious about an all maghogany neck. that may be why the action was so bad. look at the relief real good, make sure it's not bowed beyond belief. maghonany is kinda soft for a neck wood (not sayin it cant be done), I also would plug it in and make sure it's got the tone you want. maghonany has more of a mellow tone for bass. it's usually used best as a body wood to offset the brightness of a maple neck.

BTW, I think the shape Kicks! and all Deans are insainly cheap for what you get...take advantage of it :)

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the look of that bass a lot. I'll bet it sounds great, and T-Bird like with all that Mahogany. I've been very happy with my Dean, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They are made in Korea.

6. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I been looking at this bass too!! I have a Dean guitar that I really like, so I know the company makes some good stuff. Does anybody know the price and whether or not they make a 5 string version?

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Sorry I can't comment on the playablility and sound of the bass but that headstock is one of the ugliest headstocks ever. The body is fine but the headstock brings the entire appearance down. The worst part is how the Dean symbol fits on the headstock.

8. whats wrong with the headstock? that's 'classic' Dean flying V style headstock! looks sweet to me.

check out my MLX7, it has the same head

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Its just not my bag. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

10. Don't know if I've ever seen that particular model so I can't comment on how good, bad or ugly it is. Personally, I had never heard of Dean until I moved to FL., now I own an Edge Q4 and an Acoustic Gtr made by Dean. After, years of struggle to find a particular sound I finally found it with Dean. Don't let the cheap prices fool you, they are made well and sound great. Short of some $2000 to $4000 basses I've played my Dean is by far the best axe I've ever owned.

11. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!!

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Just picked up a Demonator the other day. I have wanted one for years and found one used at GC. So far I am loving it, gonna use it on my next gig.