1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean EAB acoustic bass vs. dean exotica quilted ash.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spanndrew, Oct 14, 2013.

1. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've been looking at getting into playing acoustically, eventually narrowing down my search to these two dean basses. Via a weird string of luck I have the two offered within 60 bucks of each other. I would be buying it to never use with an amp, just a practice bass for my dorm, maybe jamming with some friends around campus. I've heard pros and cons for both basses, but any more feedback would be very appreciated.

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    You will not be able to play with anyone without a amp unless you play with a pick and they barely strum. Volume is not your friend. But besides that I have loved mine. I personally would buy the one you like. They are basically the same. I owned a eab and the only thing I didn't like was the size. It is a big bass. Not real comfortable. But played great and even sounded good plugged in. I only got rid of mine because I upgraded and didn't need two of them.

3. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Also I really like black nylon strings on it. Makes it thumpy like a stand up.

4. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    See how big that thing is next to a five strong jazz. Its big.

5. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've heard a lot of bad things about the eab amplified, you said you didn't have a problem with it?

6. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    The issue is feedback. I always killed the highs and turned the mids half way. Then don't stand in front of the speaker wash. And I got it sounding pretty good for what it is. Its not expensive, it's mainly for practice, camping, drinking. You won't be taking it to a studio, but I expected it to be worse.

7. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    Alright, thanks for the info man.

8. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Love my aeb10.

With tapes it's a bit quiet. I jacked the action way up and dig in hard with a pick and can be heard with two other steel six strings. By no means do I blow them away like I do with my electric, but I can be heard in the mix as evidenced by all the dirty looks my bros give me when I hit the wrong note ;)

Plugged in it sounds phenomenal. Feedback is not a huge issue, it pops up occasionally but we have more feedback on vocals than with the acoustics. A lil eq'n goes a long way to help feedback.

If you get one, enjoy!

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a quilted ash Exotica and it was very, very nice. Well made, BEAUTIFUL, sounded great amplified, and with no feedback I ever heard. The Aphex option added some thump and I really liked it. I had to get rid of it, for a couple reasons - it was to fragile to have around my young daughter, and it was not loud enough acoustically, like the poster said above. And if I wasn't going to play it acoustically, I might as well use one of my electric basses.

10. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have the Dean Performer Fretless (similar to the EABC) with flats on it and it is crazy how many compliments I get on the tone, both acoustic and plugged in (and it's not an expensive bass). I also roll off the highs, mids - to middle, and bass boosted. People I play with love that bass despite how bad my intonation is on fretless.... Either way- those Deans are a great value and I think that they hold up better acoustically than most ABGs.

11. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I've had five different acoustics and the two eabs and the only reason I got rid of mine was because I got this Kingman. But if I hadn't got such a good deal on this one I would never have gotten rid of mine. Great values.

12. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Just ordered the 5 string version. Will post my impressions.