Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge 10?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiefling, Nov 3, 2004.

1. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
  2. i dunno about that one, but im planning on doing the same thing with the dean brian bromberg eventually...dean seem to be putting out some nice stuff

3. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I just bought a Dean Improv and love it. Not alot of people here give dean respect, but they make a very nice, well built and easily playible bass. I have heard nothing but good things about Bass NW. I'm sure they would sell you the bass and if it doesn't fit you, you could return it. You can also look on the Dean board and ask them questions. Good product. Good luck. Later Joe

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Actually I intended to buy one of those when they came out... And being unemployed at the moment, even with some extra cash in the bank, has be holding off for now... Or until I sell some more unused gear.

I hadn't been paying attention and knowing they are going for a decent price I may still try one.

I've always wanted an octave bass, but told myself I'd hold out for a 10, and Dean finally did it.

I'd love to hear comments from anyone has tried it as well.

Troll

5. Wow, that looks cool! Must seek one out to try.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had my on those since they were introduced, but never seen one in person. I wonder if they have any plans for a 15 string?:D

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If a repuatable company such as Dean actually made an affordable 15 string, I would be all over it like a fat kid at burger king.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Ok, so any comments on it? You know, the usuals... construction, qauality, playability, tone, etc...

Troll

9. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC

like this?
    [​IMG]

10. (rant on)
    That's frightening.

Seriously, this is getting to be a problem among kids. Make your kids go outside and play, run, ride bike, whatever. Take away the x-box. Turn off the TV. Disconnect the computer from the internet.

Any parent who lets their kid get to that point should be forced to eat nothing but one salad per day.
    (rant off)
    </RANT on>

Now back to your regularly scheduled post:
    The bass is very cool. I've always like the octave sound too. Almost thought about buying an aluminum neck Kramer 8 once. It was cheap too. Right next to the vintage Portaflex for $500. Wish I woulda had the cash then.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Excuse me sir, you gonna eat the rest of those fries?

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Two words: Michellin Man

That is wrong, but yes, that illustrated my point exactly.
    I have one dean dealer in my area, but they only stock a bunch of 4 and 5 string edges unfortunately. Bah.

13. They'd probably order you one in if you're really serious. I've talked with a couple of shops that offered to do that, understanding that if I didn't like it they'd leave it in stock for another lucky person.

Would I ever buy a 10 string Dean? Obese probability.

Peace, love and french fries, BT

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I have never seen one in person.

15. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi

I'd like to see you post a review of your improv

16. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Oh, hehe, right... I read that wrong initially. THere was a word missing there, and I must have read 'hands' instead of 'eyes' :)

Troll

17. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    What can I say other than amazing. Deans dont get much respect because of thier fair prices and their customs can be had under a grand. The bass is beautiful. When I first got it it was set up horrible. I put new fatties on it sounded very good. The sustain is amazing. This is the first thru neck I have owned. Anyway, I played it thru my new setup mesa 400+ tube amp and ampeg svt610 cab. Turn the amp up to 2 and the bass half way, I thought my walls we going to cave in(big open living room with 15' celings). Needless to say, the passive emg's have THE sound and kick. I put a set of DR black beauties on cause the fatties just wern't the sound I wanted. I don't think I will use anything other than the DR's or mabey the Labella coated strings. Anyway if it was stolen or broke, I'd search high and low for another. I'd love to find a 5'er. I know Dean's arnt for everyone, but I can say it is the best bass I have every played. Now I really want a Dean Cabbie for some rockabilly. All I can say is buy the 10 string. If don't like sell it. I'm very happy with my Dean. And thanks watspan for the advise. Later Joe

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just popped a check in the mail (last week) for a used Dean Edge 10'er (from 5stringDan)... hopefully I'll be playing it next weekend!

[​IMG]

The Specs:
    Body: Mahogany
    Neck: Mahogany Bolt-On
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Scale: 34”
    Color: Oil Finish
    Electronics: Two Dean Humbuckers with Active (9v) Bass & Treble, Volume, Blend
    Hardware: All Black with Grover tuners
    Neck Dimensions: 1 7/8” at the nut, 2½” at the 12th fret, 2 25/32” at the 24th fret
    String Spacing: Bass Strings 9/16” at the bridge, String pairs 3/32” – 1/8” depending on string gauge
    String Gauges:
    G .045 / .0135
    D .065 / .017
    A .085 / .0265
    E .105 / .036
    B .128 / .047

The only thing is that I'm trying to source a place to get strings for it ... anybody have suggestions? I already emailed JustString and SIT... We'll see.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Looks like it'll rock, all right... :bassist:

For kind of that Tom Petersson bag, eh? ;)

MM

20. I've been watching that bass! You just had to go & buy that thing before I found the leprechauns' pot-o-gold. :crying: Actually, I think I'm going to stick to 34" scales, otherwise, that was very tempting. Tell us about it! BTW, I got the 1x12 cab from fivestringdan in a trade deal- he's good business. :)