Dean Edge 1J or Ibanez GSR 200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Artillerist, May 25, 2001.

1. Artillerist

May 25, 2001
    Howdy all,

Which of these two basses would you recommend to a novice bassist? I've gone through all the user reviews I could locate on the net and through the archives of this and other forums and am unable to decide. There aren't many opinions to be found on the Dean guitar, although the ones I've seen are quite enthusiastic. On the other hand, the Ibanez model has a P and a J pickup (more better than two J's?) but the 1J has 24 frets vs 22 on the GSR200. What's an amateur to do? Your opinions please.

Thanks in advance...
  2. PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    I am really new to bass, so the search you are going through is quite familiar. I spent alot of time on-line, going through catalogs, going in and out of stores (surpizingly only found 2 in south Brooklyn) and ended up going with the Ibanez Pak, which has the 190...same as the 200 except for a natural colored headstock, rather than the black. Yes,it has a P and a J pickup.
    Not having a great amount of skill or experience with other basses, I can only tell you that I am happy with this bass. It just felt good strapped on and in my hand. The amp that came with it is really only for practicing, but at first, what else do you need? Also, the video that comes with it was not helpful at all, and seriously consider buying a better cable...the one it comes with is pretty thin and short.
  3. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

first of all, I don`t believe you can go wrong with the Ibanez. It will most likely be right for you - because you don`t know anything else, but the best buy you could get would be the Squier P-Bass Special, priced at abou $230. A Great bass..

4. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    i am new to bass also. i bought the dean edge playmate which is a step below the one you are looking at and i am nothing but happy i love it well made good tone. never played the ibanez so i can say anything pro or con for it but i am a dean fan
  5. Artillerist

May 25, 2001
    I am still researching but leaning toward the Ibanez bass today. What I find interesting now is how little competition pricewise there is among music stores, online and offline and how few full scale online stores there are out there. Somebody needs to give that self described friend of a musician some serious competition, wouldn't you agree?
  6. Marlow_Smith

Apr 26, 2000
    good choice. an Ibanez GSR 205 was my second bass. While I had it, I was very happy with it. Ibanez has a great sound, and they're easy to play.
    I've recently upgraded to five string Ibanez BTB, and am very happy with it.

With this said, I've never played a Dean, but I do know that that's a nice little Ibanez