Dean Edge 4... your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I looked all over this forum, didn't really find much mention at all of the Dean Edge basses. I played some guy's Dean Edge 4 at a show a few months ago and I LOVED how it felt, it was so comfortable and playing fast just felt so right.

So I'm wondering, how do you guys feel about this bass? I'm thinking about getting one, is there anything I should know about quality or reliability... is it known to randomly fall apart... stuff like that?
  2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    First bass I had was an Edge 4. It was a completely competent bass in every respect, but the EMG's just aren't my thing. I like snarly, down & dirty character in a bass. The Edge I had was a solid, well crafted axe with nice action and adequate tonal options - but it wasn't anything EXTRA special, y'know? If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have lost my arse on trading it back in like I did, just because it's a solid bass that someone could have used. It just didn't give me a chub.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I bought an Edge 5 fretless Dec 31, 1999. I'm selling it to my nephew now because I want a 6 string instead. It has been a fantastic reliable beautiful great playing nice stable neck excellent all around bass. Highly recommended.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I live near a store that carries quite a few Dean basses. I've found that the build quality can vary quite a bit with the Deans. Some are very nice, and some are not so nice. So IMO, Deans are definately a try-before-you-buy.

One Dean bass that I recently played and was very impressed with is the Edge Hammer:
  5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have the dean edge 4 improv from a few years back. it was their top of the line czech made neck-thru w/ gold hardware, schaller tuners, emg-cs pickups, brass nut--I think it is a superb bass and was a great value at $700 w/ hsc
  6. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I have got a transp. red Dean Edge 4 and I think it is really good for the price. But, I'll second that you should try before buy. I didn't do that and I'll guess I was lucky. The fret ends became a bit sharp though, and I had to file down the ends a bit.

7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Got edge4, i like it alot acctually...
    It has kinda sharp sound to it, but i know a guy who can acctually play bass, unlike your truelly and he was able to make some nice smooth sound out of it. My come out very sharp though :)

I have not had any trouble with it (had it for about um 4 months? )

It def has diffrent sound then most basses imo, so try it and see if you like it. :) And i didnt like org. strings, so keep that in mind... maybe it was just me though
  8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I played one whilre working at G.C. a friend bought it and asked me to set it up for them and it set up well but it did'nt seem like it had the "sweet spot",no matter where I bridged it never felt "right",maybe it was an odd-ball.
    But it was a nice see through green ash body with all gold h-ware,ALL SHOW NO TONE :mad:
  9. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    i own a custom dean edge 5, it was my main bass before i purchased my warwick.

In my opinion its a very solid bass. Its reliable, and its sound i think really does vary highly on the settings you have on your amp, but the tone can be structured in differnt ways for your liking, which i liked. I played stuff from heavier rock, to funk, and back, and it did it all. Very nice bass. The B string on mine is nice and tight, excellent sound.

But i have heard that people have bought them and got models that werent built as well. So i also support the 'try-before-you-buy' movement.

10. coop

Jun 22, 2002
    I've got a Dean Edge 5 that is a very nice bass. Build quality is top drawer.

I'm just smitten with G&Ls right now. If you are interested PM or e-mail me
  11. Chroma

Mar 1, 2004
    I own two Edge basses, a 5 (Dean PuPs) and a 6 (EMG PuPs). Both very solid instruments. I bought the 5 new, traded an old guitar I had for the 6; which is used; but both have nice bang for the buck factors. My Dean experience started with a 7 string Avalanche Guitar that was so nice I picked up a near identical second 7 string Dean. They both influenced me to pick up the Dean basses I have now.

I agree with the try before you buy though. Overall I think they have nice quality but I've ran into a couple of lower quality instruments since I've been playing them frequently.
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Are the Dean pups just rebadged EMG? or did i get it wrong?
  13. Chroma

Mar 1, 2004
    I don't know if they are rebadged EMGs or not, but they don't appear to be. The higher end of the Edge basses have EMG-HZs in them, so my guess is that the lower end ones just have some generic soapbars. Even so, the sounds I can get from the 5 string aren't bad at all.
  14. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I love my Dean, i think the slap tone on them is awsome, the EMGs are much to thank, the body is nice and like, the neck is super smooth, craftsmanship is great.

Only probly ive had was the bridge, the saddles wear down fast, replaced it with a Hipshot bridge, all betta now :)

also, i have the "dean edge Q4 custom" with the inlayed neck, which i think are the most tastefull inlays ever made.
  15. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    for the 5 string (edge 5) you can get emg's instead of dean if u custom order from them, the price different isnt major, thats what i did among other things.

The edge 4 already comes with emg's standard. (I think)