Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Desire, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi,
    Anyone out there have a Dean Edge 5 string? I'm seriously looking into getting one. Right now I have an Ibanez SR300DXL and love it and would buy another Ibanez without hesitation but the problem is that for 5 string lefty's they (Ibanez) :crying: have nothing not to mention that the stores here in Toronto have squat whereas Dean has it . The other problem is that none of the dealers have any Deans in stock and would have to "special order" it which kinda stinks and before I flop out $700 (CDN) it's gonna have to feel good and sound decent. So if anyone has a Dean I'd love to find out how it feels and sounds. I love the "hot" sound that my Ibanez has and looking for the same in a 5 string. What I also love about my Ibanez ("Gloria") is it's fairly light and balanced and has a slim neck which makes it very playable. I can comfortably practice for two or three hours at a time. Rented a Yamaha 5 string a while ago and did not like it at all...boy talk about sore shoulder from that cluncker felt I had a concrete block strapped to my shoulder and it didn't sound that great either. So if anyone has a Dean I'd love some feedback on it

Thanks,
    Desire

"Just play!"

2. I have a dean edge five and could not ask for a better bass for the price...heck even the stock strings are decent. Takes a beating too...

3. jjtsucka

jjtsucka

Aug 31, 2004
    i love mine and when rockapede said they can take a beating mine has been through everything short of me trying to break and has come back for more

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have one that I'm selling to my nephew (because I replaced it with a 6 string). Fantastic bass, well balanced, wonderful neck, light, good pickups/EQ (older models have EMG-HZ pickups with passive EQ, newer ones have Dean branded pickups with active EQ - both options are good), looks great, good quality hardware.

I'd recommend a Dean Edge 5 to anyone looking for a bass in the price range. I loved mine for years it never let me down, I'm sure my nephew is going to love it as much as I did. :hyper:

5. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Thanks guys for the feedback so Dean it is (or will be soon :hyper: ).
    I was thinking of going with the transparent black but not sure how it would look with the black hardware. So now I only have to figure out what color I should order. Saw a another 5 string that's got my heart throbbing it's a Spector Euro sunburst cherry...man is that thing gorgeous!! but a little out of my price range, $2700 CDN. :crying: but maybe next year I'll snag it. Thanks again for your input. Any votes on what color I should get? :help:

Desire

"Just play!"

6. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Greetings,

First of all, let me tell you that i know exactly how you feel. Im a left handed player as well, and it is very hard to find mid-range priced basses for left handed players that are actually decent.

I have a dean edge 5 in transparent red (very nice color btw, i get a lot of comments on how nice the color is), and i really was extremely impressed with it. I played it at the store, and loved it, and had them order me one with the color i wanted. I couldnt ask for more considering the price. As mentioned before, its lightweight, and i can dial in many different tones out of this thing. The neck is comfrotable for me. The only thing i dislike about this bass, and this is very minor, is the body itself is big compared to my body, i have a small body.. so the bass is almost bigger than me.. lol, but other than that no complaints.

Overall i am very happy with this bass, and i still use it to play shows. Sometimes over my warwick (depends on the day).

Kind Regards,
    H

7. Chroma

Chroma

Mar 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Here are a couple of pics of my Trans. Amber 5 string Edge. I have a Trans Black 6 string as well but don't have any good pics of it handy. I replaced the chrome knobs on my 5 string with some black gibson knobs cause I just like those better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As i've said in other posts about Deans, I'm very happy with my 2 basses, and like 5stringFanatic said, you can't really ask for more outta these basses for the price range they fall into.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean Edge 5 in Transparent black with black hardware is absolutely gorgeous. Of course I'm a little biased towards the fretless version myself, but the fretted is quite nice, too. ;)

9. Another vote for transparent red...got it and love it. Btw my Edge is one of the newer ones with the Dean pups and active eq, and i've never been able to find anything wrong with it's tone at all...everything from silky smooth to trebly growl, really, really awesome for the price.

10. Just saw that you said you'd be ordering it. I actually went to three different stores and played every Edge they had...not a dud in the lot of 'em. Shoot I ended up ordering mine online (www.musiciansfriend.com) because it was cheaper and it was great out of the box. No worries about quality control.

-dale

11. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Hey guys.... just wanted to update you on the Dean. The other day I went to a store that had a righty so I picked it up and fooled with it a little. The second I grabbed it I fell in love with it, can't believe how light it is and balanced and it's got a reasonably slim neck and it's beautiful to just hold!!! The guy at that store didn't seem crazy about getting me a lefty Dean so I went to another store that sells them and they didn't have any but they'd get one ASAP!!! so hopefully by Friday (if their supplier has it, a week from Friday if they have to get it from Dean) my Dean will be here!!! I also chose Transparent Black. I paid a little more (maybe $50) by going to this store where I ordered it but they were really helpfull. So when I want to get that Spector Black Cherry and a fretless, I'll be going to them to get it. So Dean it is!! And got a Dean wings T-shirt to boot!!!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    Rockapede.... I would have loved to order it from Musician's Friend but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada :crying: But hey that's ok still getting my Dean anyway.

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations, I'm sure that you will have a long and happy relationship with your new bass! :bassist:

13. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Guys,
    Justed wanted to give the update. She's home, went and picked it up yesterday, when I went to the store and that first look my first thought was "wow this thing is really gorgeous!!". I sat down and played with it a little (unplugged) and packed her in my gig bag and brought it home. When I got home I plugged it in and tuned it and put it through some paces. The sound from it is unbeleivable!! This thing really thunders on the low notes, rattling windows and all!!! yet clean and the mid is really smooth too!!!! :hyper: Plus I got a free Dean baseball hat to boot :) The store manager also said he is in the process of getting some jackets done with the store logo (Metro Sound) and he'll call me to come and pick one up when they come in....free!!!
    So I'll be really enjoying this. Next up will be a Schecter C4 Black Cherry and a Dean Fretless and the Spector Euro 5 Black Cherry. Then I'm done buying basses...I promise!!!
    ;)
    I'll send in some photos when I get a digital camera.

14. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I recently picked up a used Dean Edge 5 (passive) and absoluely lovve it. It has the EMG HZ pickups which sound great and you can get alot of different tone by adjust the volume of each pickup, unlike my Viper, in which the changes are minimal on the ESP pickups. My only problem with the dean is a bad input jack, but it was used so I can't blame that on Dean.

My Dean is Trans Power Purple

[​IMG]

15. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Raycer-
    I really like the color of your Dean. :cool:, actually all the colors that you guys showed me were really nice and it was a really hard choice but I finally decided on the trans black. One thing I was impressed with is they come with GHS Bass Boomers from the factory, I have GHS on my Ibanez and like them.
    I'll tell you the sound is mindblowing!!! :D
    Philbiker, Rockapede, 5stringfanatic, Chroma and jjtsucka I again like to thank all of you for your wonderfull advice.
    And now for that talkbass t-shirt that I've been trying to get : )

Sincerely
    Desire

16. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh, you're quite welcome. These basses are really fantastic though they're often overshadowed by others in the price rance. I am now in the process of selling my black Dean to my nephew, but it gave me many years of good service, one of the best ownership experiences I've had. :bassist:

17. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    youre welcome.
    And congrads on your new bass. Im always glad to help.

Kind Regards,
    H