Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge 6 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stubbs, Aug 26, 2004.

1. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    Hey all TB'ers, I've got a few questions about the Dean Edge 6 (not Q6) Anybody out there have experience with this bass? How does it sound? How does it feel? Is the construction good, and how is the playability? Last but not least, what does the head really look like? MusiciansFriend and Dean show different pics:
    MF: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/g=bass/search/bigpid/base_id/41110/

Dean:http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_6.htm

I prefer the look of the dean page one much more. thanks for any info!

2. Chroma

Chroma

Mar 1, 2004
    Virginia
    I have a Edge 6 stringer (transparent black) that's a few years old, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I mainly use my 5 string Edge but the 6 is a good solid instrument for the price range they fall into. My 6 has passive electronics (V,V,T) with EMG-HZ pups and a laminated neck. Compared to my 5 string the EMGs in the 6 seem to be lower output, but have a much smoother sound to them.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Edge series went through a minor redesign a couple years ago.

The old Edge had the spikey headstock in the MF picture and passive jazzstyle Vol-Vol-Tone EQ with EMG-HZ pickups. I had a 5 string like this and it has been a fantastic bass, I would recommend it to anyone. Plays great, looks great, sounds great.

The second generation Edge has the softer headstock like in the Dean website picture with Dean branded pickups and an active EQ circuit, Vol-Blend-Bass-Treble.

They are both excellent basses that I would not hesitate to recommend, play, or own. Both can probably be found new and there´s probably little to differentiate them from an online dealer POV.

4. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    thanks for the info guys, now i will consider getting this. It will probably be either this bass or a Brice 6 string. I hope the redone newer version comes in that amber finish as seen on MF. thanks :hyper:

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Having owned both, I can tell you that the Brice basses are not in the same league as the Deans. The Dean is a very definite step up in hardware quality and build quality over the Brice. It is worth the larger expense, the Dean is a better quality instrument all around.

For instance, the Dean has better hardware (tuners, bridge), better pickups (EMG-HZ), better build quality (the Brice has a strange shim in the neck pocket), and has a beautiful 5 piece maple/walnut neck that feels absolutely sumptous compared to the simple single piece Maple neck (also very nice) on the Brice.

That said, I sold my 5 string Dean to my nephew and now play a 6 string Brice. Though the Brice is not as well made as my previous (now nephew's) Dean, it's good enough for me. The new Brice Z Bass looks really nice, Douglas SB-26 SN Ash even better (and what about that price!!!!!). But the Dean's a better instrument.

Oh yeah, I don't know if you care, but the Dean Edge basses are 35" scale.