Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Does anyone have one....ever play one....have any thoughts about one? :)

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I don't own one, but I've played a couple. Basically they're the same bass as the Ibanez SR 406 with some cosmetic differences....like say a Pontiac Sunbird vs. a Chevy Cavalier. It's not a bad bass, nor is it a great bass, it's a solid decent sounding entry-level 6, with a good B string (better than the Ibanez, IMO). My biggest beef with the ones I've played was that the string spacing at the bridge was a WEE bit tight for me, but if I had to, I could adjust to it. Happily that's not a concern at this time :D. It also suffers from the same electronics/pickup defiency as the Ibanez, not awful, but could be better, but it's hard to complain about nit-picky stuff like that in that price range.

You lookin' to come over to the "dark side", Deynn? ;) What's your budget, I may be able to point you in the direction of a few other basses that aren't too much more expensive....

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks Gard...I am actually already on the "darkside" :)...
    But I came across a pretty good deal on a slightly banged up Dean 6...and for the price...thought I might check it out. I probably will go ahead and buy it...even just to have as a backup 6 string.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I find it funny that...that only one person has responded to having actually played this bass....but so many have criticized it. That is why it is important to try a bass for yourself. When someone gives an opinion here....how can you be sure they ever even tried that bass?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've played one, string spacing is too close, pickups would need replacing pretty quick.

Like Gard said, it's basically a little better version of the Ibanez 406.