Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawnpatio, Oct 31, 2000.

1. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Does anyone own or have played this guitar. Please don't confuse this with the other Deans. Just wanted to hear some opinions of it. Thanks!

2. I have an Edge Custom 5 in trans black. The neck is fast as hell and very stable. The construction is, overall, immaculate: no high frets, filed ends, tight neck joint, well-applied finish, etc. The bridge is quite nice, but the tuners feel cheap. The EMG-HZ pickups are poor--very little midrange--but the electronics are excellent, as they're real EMG stuff. The sound is quite versatile; I like to leave mine with the controls flat and the balance knob at about 25% neck/75% bridge, for a punchy sound. You won't get a Stingray or a Jazz sound out of it, but you can get a decent Precision-knockoff sound by soloing the neck pickup and cranking the treble.

It's an excellent bass for the money and kicks the crap out of any Ibanez or Yamaha at that price range.

3. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    So if I replaced those EMG-HZs with some high quality ones, the bass would sound a lot better? I mean it is handmade and has the flamed top and is actually affordable.

4. Yeah, if you replaced the HZs with EMG-DC or EMG-CS soapbars, it'd sound really sweet. I don't have $200 sitting around right now, so I can't do it, but I will sooner or later.