1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Edge Fretless Intonation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluesbreaker5, May 12, 2006.

1. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I just picked up a used Dean Edge 4 Fretless and I really, really like this bass! Anyway it had roundwounds so I replaced them with flatwounds. I find that I have to finger exactly on the markers to get close to correct intonation. Not a problem, but I thought the "right" way was to finger just before the markers? Is that right? I'm not gonna "fret" about it (cracking myself up) but I can't seem to adjust the bridge any better than that. Comments or suggestions?

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I think the Dean Edge Fretless is one of the best deals around. Congratulations on your purchase.

On the finger position, you should be exactly on the top of the side dots. With fretted basses, you put your finger slightly ahead of the fret to lever down the string for a clean tone. But the dots are put right where your fingers go on an unlined fretless (on a lined fretless, they go in between where your fingers need to go ... not a particularly convenient place to put them).

On a 34" scale bass, the intonation is very sensitive, and you can go significantly sharp or flat just by rocking your hand on top of the finger. So you need to listen carefully. I use a Peterson Strobostomp on occassion to test my intonation, to see that I'm hearing the note properly.

3. this probably isnt correct technique, but I used to tune my bass with the strings a little sharp on each higher string so when I was fretting a 4th it would be in tune. I had a hard time getting a perfect 4th and a 5th at the same time

4. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    BIG HELP, guys! Thanks! TalkBass is the best! And I bought the T-shirt! (We don't want any treble)