Dean Edge Guitars...opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigDean, Dec 10, 2002.

1. I have been looking at the Dean Edge Series Basses...does anybody have any words of wisdom about them?

They look pretty nice.
  2. I have an Edge 4 fretless, it's pretty nice. It has a really fast multilaminate neck.

I really like the Checzh made neck thru models. They're really a lot of bass for the price.
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I started on a Dean Edge 4 with EMG's.

Don't expect to impress alot of people around here with it, but there's no reason at all that a professional player couldn't sound great every day using one. I hated to sell it, but I needed the cash.. it was a great playing/feeling/sounding backup.
  4. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Although some of the Dean models looked interesting, I have never played one in a store that was set up at all well, hence I tend to disfavor them.
  5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I bought a czech-made neck-thru Dean Edge 4 Improv last year for $725 and just love this bass! super low action, easily played neck for small hands and a dynamite looking and sounding bass! Came w/ roundwound strings which gave a very bright lively tone w/ lots of growl--now have flatwounds on it and it plays oh so smooth. I have never played any of their other models but I would whole-heartedly reccomend this model!
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own this 5 string Edge from 1999:

I would recommend an Edge series bass without hesitation. Mine is fantastic, it looks great, sounds great, plays great. The neck needs tweaking every so often. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I have no intereste in replacing it with anything.
  7. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I have got the Dean Edge 4 and like it a lot. I never tweak the on-bord EQ, nor the mik-balance knob, and there I got that tone I'm after. I hardly ever tweak my EBS Drome 12's EQ either (just a very little amount of bass and treble). I cannot get the Edge sound bad with this amp (regardless of EQ settings).
    The only thing I have had to do, besides setup the action, is to file down some fret ends to reduce sharp edges. But, hey! I've heard that some Fenders are alike...

So, I highly recommend Dean basses!