Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge Guitars...opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigDean, Dec 10, 2002.

1. I have been looking at the Dean Edge Series Basses...does anybody have any words of wisdom about them?

They look pretty nice.

2. I have an Edge 4 fretless, it's pretty nice. It has a really fast multilaminate neck.

I really like the Checzh made neck thru models. They're really a lot of bass for the price.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I started on a Dean Edge 4 with EMG's.

Don't expect to impress alot of people around here with it, but there's no reason at all that a professional player couldn't sound great every day using one. I hated to sell it, but I needed the cash.. it was a great playing/feeling/sounding backup.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Although some of the Dean models looked interesting, I have never played one in a store that was set up at all well, hence I tend to disfavor them.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I bought a czech-made neck-thru Dean Edge 4 Improv last year for $725 and just love this bass! super low action, easily played neck for small hands and a dynamite looking and sounding bass! Came w/ roundwound strings which gave a very bright lively tone w/ lots of growl--now have flatwounds on it and it plays oh so smooth. I have never played any of their other models but I would whole-heartedly reccomend this model!

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own this 5 string Edge from 1999:

[​IMG]

I would recommend an Edge series bass without hesitation. Mine is fantastic, it looks great, sounds great, plays great. The neck needs tweaking every so often. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I have no intereste in replacing it with anything.

7. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have got the Dean Edge 4 and like it a lot. I never tweak the on-bord EQ, nor the mik-balance knob, and there I got that tone I'm after. I hardly ever tweak my EBS Drome 12's EQ either (just a very little amount of bass and treble). I cannot get the Edge sound bad with this amp (regardless of EQ settings).
    The only thing I have had to do, besides setup the action, is to file down some fret ends to reduce sharp edges. But, hey! I've heard that some Fenders are alike...

So, I highly recommend Dean basses!

/MrBaloo