1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Edge Hammer EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    :bawl::help:
    A few months ago I sold off a Dean Edge Hammer to fund the purchase of my Jazz Bass.
    When I sold it, everything was working in top form. No problems whatsoever. I just got off the phone with him, and he's saying that for whatever reason the bass was not working.
    It's an active so I asked him if he had swapped out the battery and made sure it was in place correctly. I asked if he had used another cord, and tried it through another amp. Or if he had tried another bass through THAT amp.
    All of which was met with a "Yeah, man.":

I don't have the bass here but I'll be picking it up and taking a look at it sometime in the days to come.

So, any advice? Anyone had similar problems?
    When I'm doing my once over are there anythings I should be paying CLOSE attention to?

Lame.

Also, if I can't find anything what should I do? Obviously I'm not in the position to give him the money back but i'll feel like a douche for sticking him with a non-functioning instrument.

:help::bawl:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A FEW MONTHS AGO? Are you (and him) serious?

Tell him to p!$$ off. If it worked fine when you sold it to him, he is on his own. Don't pick it up and don't promise him anything. Tell him to take you to court is he is being a goof.

Why is it your problem if a bass doesn't work a few months later? Tell him to call Dean to see if it is still under warranty or to take it to GC and pay to have it fixed.

Unless I am missing something, this is 100% his problem. If you misrepresented the condition when you sold it to him, this is also a different story. If it was not working when he bought it from you.... much different story.

Seriously, don't waste your time dealing with a potential wear and tear issue caused by him. If you help him once, you will be his own personal Dean Customer Service dept forever. Tell him to take a hike.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    +1. Politely tell him to take a hike.

4. ^^^+1. You want a warranty, you want everything fixed if it breaks, then buy new. The warranty is built into the cost of the product from the mfr. You want to save some $$$, you take a chance, you buy used. Check out used carefully, because once money changes hands, it's yours...basic business principals.

IOW, you owe this guy nothing!:bawl:

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Agreed!;)

Sorry, I hate to see people trying to blatently take advantage of others.:spit::D

6. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I don't feel as though he was trying to take advantage of me in asking to take a look at it. I just think he knows I know more about basses than he does so maybe I can find something he either overlooked or didn't even know in the first place.

I'm fully aware of the fact that I don't owe him anything and believe me, I won't stress over this but I'll do the kid a favor and take a gander.
    It's a little more complicated than just telling him to stuff it, since he's my little brothers friend.
    Although, he DID try to sell me a pile of crap truck for $1000 when i was in the market...

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    lol screw him he has had it a few months i could see up to 1 week thats about it