Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Edge Improv

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandman_96, Nov 23, 2001.

1. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Im thinking of getting an improv, whats the good and the bad about them and what should I look for when I go and try one out. Thanks in advance.

2. Great bass for the $$$. You can't go wrong with it. They are built in the same facility in the Czech Republic that the CR Spector line are made. IMO, the Improv design and sound is very Spector influenced. I talked a buddy of mine into buying an Improv. He works at a music store that is a Dean dealer. They don't carry the Improv line in stock. He had one sent to try it out then bought it right away!
    So Go for it!!!

3. The Edge Improv looks cool on the Dean website, but there's no list price for it -- does anyone know the list price? Also, I've never heard of the specific model of EMG's in that bass, although it's good that they're not EMG-Hz's, IMO.

It looks like a great bass, and I've been impressed with the Deans in general.

I bought a Jeff Berlin Standard last week, and love it. I just can't figure out how they can afford to build a bass with a graphite-reinforced neck, ebony board, Bart soapbars, Schaller tuners, and a Badass bridge for something like $1099 list!

4. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    The list price for the improv is around $1450. The pickups are emg-cs. Go to www.emginc.com and look for them there.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Dead, I'm going to some music stores tomorrow to see if i can find an improv or somebody that can get one.

5. there is an edge improv 4 at my local guitar store going for around $700 new.

I almost bought a 5, they're very nice:D

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you know at first I thought dean basses were cheap basses.. but after playing some i was pleasantly surprised... I think Dean makes some good basses.. just my 2 cents

7. Wow, their list prices must have gone up a bit. As of last December the list prices were $1099 for a four string and $1199 for a fiver.
    The only other bass in the $1000-$1200 list price range that I would recommend is the Brian Moore i4 and i5 basses. www.bmcguitars.com
    Both the Improv and i series basses will compete with many basses costing much more!!!

8. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    I just checked out the i5 and the list price for it is $1395, so maybe their prices went up too. The dean looks better to me though and thats probably what I will get, plus I already have two deans, so i will stick with them. By the way the $1450(5-string) for the improv is as of January 1, 2001.

9. It doesn't really matter what the "list" price is anyway. Company A can list their bass priced the same as company B but one of them can be had for much less than another. The sale price is the real price!!!
    You're making the right decision, keep us updated!!!

10. our local guitar shop sells things for about 30% lower than list. so if you do the math you can kinda get a ballpark figure of what you would really pay.

11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    the razor nt-5 looks even better! i liked the edge custom i played it was worth buying..

12. The electronics, hardware and wood top of the Improv is superior to that of the Razor NT.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:confused:But, aren't looks more important?:confused:

14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    who u sayin that too emb??

15. That's what the ladies tell me!:D :D :D

16. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Hey just got back in town from the music stores. Their ordering an improv for me and I will know monday when it will be here. Im getting the 5-string for $999 plus Im going to trade in my dean edge 5 so the final price was $799 plus tax. I cant wait to get it, maybe this will cure my g.a.s. for a little while. :D

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Whomever.;)

18. Just get the Improv set up after you receive it and you won't be disappointed! BTW, which color did you choose?

19. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    I got flame honeyburst for the color, I cant wait to get it! Its going to sleep in my bed for the first couple of days.:D

20. Yeah, who needs a woman!!!