Dean Edge Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by backtoschool, Jan 20, 2001.

1. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm thinking of getting a Dean Edge Q5. I was wondering if any of you had an opinion on their sound or quality or whatever you know about them.
  2. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    why not the spector Q5? its the exact same everything (the spector is $50 more though)...but spector is one of the best names in the buisness, and dean isnt (the best in the buisness). if that doenst blow your horn then the spector ns2000- Standard Basses/spector_2000_csb_4_st.htm
    (thats a pic of the model that i have, you can see spectors look real nice)
    is the neckthrough (non quilted) version of the spector Q5.
    you can check them both out and compare here-

here is the Dean at

And here is the Spector at the same site

now the pic of the spector on that site is really not good, this is a better pic-

thats the Q6 .. now THATS some eye candy :p
    whew im done. email me w/ any quiestions

[Edited by basslax on 01-20-2001 at 08:07 PM]
  3. If the Dean is your thing, meaning if that what feels right to you,, go for it! But then again try out a Spector just for something to compare to! You might just like a Spector!

4. I had the oppurtunity to play the Dean one night, I actually played with it for about 2 hrs straight, and if I didn't see the price tag for myself I never would believe the price..... I was totally blown away by the tone....I have to say that they are shipped with a very low action, actually too low there was a slight buzz, but that can be fixed......
  5. fishysound

Jan 16, 2001
    i've been readin and the dean Q4 sounds good for my needs. but i can't find one to play! went to guitar center twice and a local once. none there. anyways i think it's more how it sounds and feels than anything else.
  6. Groove

Jan 13, 2001
    Go with the Dean man! Great quality, sound and looks for a little change from your pocket. But seriously, buy what feels good to you. If you have to, take a day drive to a store that's got one and check them out. We carry them in our store but they are very hard to keep in stock. The guys in our area have really snatched them up!
  7. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    So does the spector sound that much better than the Dean? My gut says stick with the Dean (plus looks play into it and the amburst for the Dean looks way better than the Spectors (in my opinion)).
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that Deans are oogly and Spectors are sexy, but of course that's MY opinion.
  9. Don't both the Dean Edge and the Spectors Q series have pretty much the same p/u and electronic's? EMG-HZ p/u's and the EMG active tone curcuit?

Just wondering...
  10. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yah riz ur right but the spector has better quality over all- fretwork, neck joints, wiring, sheilding, pots...
  11. LvHooters

Sep 20, 2000
    Dean has been around a long time....They are up and coming in their Basses..
    I was looking at the Edge Improve 4..but NO ONE had any..they are backordered and come from Europe and are Handmade...Got me a Peavey Cirrus 4.... PS..Go with the DEAN!
  12. dabber

Jan 22, 2001
    I own a Dean Edge5 fretless. I can tell you that I am totally satisfied by this bass. I picked it up new, with a gig bag for under $400. Factoring in "price vs value" I would say Deans are worth it. They DO come setup with low action. The (passive)EMGHZ's sound decent with surprisingly numerous tone capabilities. The trans amberburst is nice(I'm sure on the EdgeQ it's MUCH nicer)I have nothing against Spectors, except a lack of funding...

[Edited by dabber on 01-23-2001 at 12:15 AM]
  13. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    You know... I have an Edge4 and I love it. The neck is thinner than the Spector neck, and of course the body style is different. Personally I like the Dean's shape better (meaner looking... less like a melted toy bass) and that neck is what sold me.

That said, I really don't like the EdgeQ's. The active in it sounds a little weird to me. If I were buying again, I'd still get the passive Edge. I think it just sounds better.
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a bit confused about this...can you explain to me about the neck joints?

What about the wiring? explain this to me...

And, the shielding? can you explain how the Dean's shielding isn't as good?

Oh...of course the pots...who makes the pots in the Dean? Spector? Which one is better? Why?

I need to know these things in case I ever decide to buy one over the other.

Thanks, man!
  15. LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I kinda wasn't kidding...I think it's kind of a ridiculous statement to claim that the shielding, pots, neck joint, etc, are any worse in comparing these two instruments. I'm not affirming or denying the truthfulness of this statement. But, I do question these claims. I'd like to know how he backs up these statements. Are they true? How do I know they're true? Because someone tells me on Talkbass that may or may not have even seen these two basses, let alone seen them side-by-side? And, so if he's seen them side-by-side, what did he notice?

Many of the basses that are made in the far east are made in the Samick factory, from what I've heard. And, while Samick is contracted out by different brands (ie: Spector is one, Dean may be another), do we know that the parts and construction are better on one end of the factory floor than another? Same factory, same parts, same workment???

Bottom line: if you're going to tell me that one Korean bass is far better than another, please explain how you know this, not just say that you can list the anatomy of a bass guitar! I can do that too!;)
  17. RAM, yours noted.

But to be honest I was, and still am LOL over what I quoted from your original post......

I take all the comments on sheilding , pots etc w. a grain of salt as I feel personally that this is, as much of all discussion of Basses is, very subjective and thats whom evers opinion. That's cool, that's what he thinks. I'll note his opinions for future use in the back of my mind.

Please try not to be offended, but knowing what I do about you from coming across your various posts and the quality of bass that you own, I sense, and perhaps unjustly so, an air of sarcasim in all of your questions you pose, and then to finish it all off by saying that you, "need to know these things in case I ever decide to buy one over the other." Comes off to me as being totally laughable and maybe, just maybe, a bit condescending.

But again, that's how it comes off to me, I mean you own a PREMIRE USA series Spector NS4 with an extremely rare AAAAA quilted maple top. A 10 on a scale of anyones scale of 10 - Period. ($3200.00+ ??)

You have, via your posts, expressed yourself as a very well educated, articulate, objective, well spoken AND particular kind of person, and a tip of the cap to you for that. So for you to express any interest in one of the basses that are the subject of this thread makes me chuckle, as I feel confident neither of these basses would ever measure up to your levels of expected quality or sound after owning your present bass. But I could be wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it.

In short it kinda comes across like your riding a little hard on these guys, that's all.

But maybe I am wrong. PEACE BRO! NO HARM - NO FOUL JUST MY WORTHLESS .02...once again.

Have a good one! :D

18. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Thanks for your candor! You obviously recognize my bull as well as anyone can! I thankyou and respect you for understanding me better than even I understand me! But, what can I say?

I know I ride people hard sometimes; other times I come across as quite opinionated. I've been dealt my share of crap as I've also dealt out at least my share of the same: some quite humbling.

I sincerely apologize wholeheartedly when I offend anyone with outright slams. However, I do recognize bull when I see it, and this kid's viewpoints, in this case, and IMHO are just, I must take them with a grain of salt. Am I getting too sensitive when I believe that not everybody out there would take these thoughts with a grain of salt?

I don't think that, from my perspective, that there is a huge difference between $200 and $300 basses, especially when they're all made in the same overseas factory. People seem to get quite heated about this. But, I also am aware that to my girlfriend, the vast majority of people on this planet can't even tell a bass guitar from a sitar, let alone a Fender Squire from a Sadowsky. So, I'll back off now, and hope that none are too offended, lest I call you on it again!:D

And, Riz, for the record, I wasn't taking offense towards your "LOL" fact, I felt immediately that you agreed with me. I guess I'm guilty of driving the point home too hard in this case.

And, also, I LOVE MY SPECTOR NS-4 almost as much as my girlfriend (who'll most likely become my fiance on Saturday!!!)