Dean Edge Q6 or Ibanez SR506 BM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am looking to purchase a 6-string bass and I don't have a ton of money to spend. I believe I can get the Dean for around $550 (new) and the Ibanez for $600 (new). I may even consider the Dean Edge 6 for $470 (new).

The Ibanez would really stress my budget. Would it be worth it to get the Ibanez over the Dean?

Please feel free to offer other suggestions in this price range.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally like Dean a lot more than Ibanez. I had a Dean Edge 5 that was fantastic, I sold it to my nephew.

I'd buy the Dean.
  3. In my opinion... yes, yes it would be feasible to expand your wallet a bit more and purchase an Ibanez SR506. Having never either of the Dean's, I can't comment on them, however, I and a few other people here at TalkBass all seem to agree that the SR506 is amazing bang for the buck, and is quite hard to be beaten in its price range.

That's just my two cents.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had the Dean bass about a year ago (See photo). I thought it was a very well made bass, and good looking! Good balance, great feel for a 6 and a good punchy sound. The one thing that really impressed me was that it had dual truss rods. Not only does it add a bit more strength to the neck, but you can adjust the neck twist as well as the bow. My Alembic has this same feature. The only reason I got rid of it....too many strings for me!

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ibanez. I've never trusted a Dean...
  6. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Hmmm. I am leaning toward the Dean.

35" scale, Dual truss rods, EMG Hz Pups, Good looking quilt top...

This is sounding pretty good to me.

I heard that the bridge on the Ibanez has been known to bend up and away from the body on the B string side. Has anyone experienced that?

Are there ANY other suggestions for an affordable 6 string? Any thoughts on a Cort Curbow 6? This bass looks a little wacky to me, but I guess I could get over it.