Dean Edge Q6 Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So I found an Edge Q6 at what I thought was a good price and grabbed it. The good news is that you can get some good sounds out of it, but I have some questions for those who may have more experience with this bass. First, I notice that the bass and treble boost/cut knobs also cut and boost the volume when you use them. Is this normal for this bass? The neck seems to have a non-glossy finish, and I wonder what you use to maintain it. Mine has a little grunge rubbed into it, and I thought I might steel-wool it a little and oil it, but I don't know what oil to use.

Also, if any of you have done mods, particularly a preamp change, I'd be interested to hear how it worked out.
  2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    i have a dean, 4 string though. The neck is non glossy for fast movement, one of my personal favorite things about deans. What i do before and after every gig, i take pledge wipes and wipe down the neck , then wipe it again with a paper towel, so no residue is left behind, keeps it smooth, and non glossy. ;)
  3. do you have active electronics in it?
    My Dean is passive, and it has 3 knobs.
    1. Neck pup volume
    2. Bridge pup volume
    3. tone
    the Deans with active electronics are, passive pick ups with powered EQ's. did you try changing the battery?
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lets' see pictures.

An active EQ by definition raises and lowers the volume a bit with each band movement. The raising and lowering of volume should be subtle unless you're cranking the treble and bass WAY up or down.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks, guys. Phil, I don't have pics at the moment, but it's the quilted amberburst finish. Chump, yes, the Q's have a preamp. You get Volume, Blend, and Bass and Treble knobs. I tried a new battery. I'm getting more used to the sound now, but the bass and treble controls still affect volume more than other active basses I've had.
  6. Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    I own a Dean Q edge 6 too. I'd love to know more about this circuit.
  7. Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Anyone playing this bass?