1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Edge Select 4 (Czech) Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslinejam, Sep 6, 2008.

1. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    I just sniped one of these on the bay for a great price and I'm looking for direct feedback on them.

What I think I know:
    Made in 98-99 at the same czech factory as the EUR Spectors of that time. Super high quality control.
    5 piece Neck through - flame maple wings - wenge fingerboard
    EMG HZ buckers with an active 2 band preamp (a BTS?)
    1 9/16" at the nut.
    Spectorish bridge and grover tuners

I absolutely loved my spector NS2A before it was stolen and have been unable to afford another. Did I just get something that is comparable?

Anyone else have one? Love to hear your thoughts on the neck, playability and any recommendations for preamp/pickup mods...

I like a thick precision-ish tone and have a fairly hard playing technique - will the HZ's compliment that?

I play mostly blues, R&B and rootsy meters type funk with a little rock in there.

Thanks all

2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I had a edge select 5 string and it was great. I played the crap out of it for years and it always sounded great (classic rock/metal/funk). I liked the pickups/preamp too.

I think they are really underrated basses. a lot of people see the dean logo and are turned off, but they are really constructed well, and play even better than a lot of basses costing 2-3 times as much.